Flourescent Starter Thingys

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a very old fluorescent light fitting in my garage, however, neither of the tubes actually light up - they simply flicker.

I'm figuring that the starter things need replacing, however, they're not the usual sort. They're a bit bigger than the ones that you buy today and have four prongs instead of the usual two.

Anyone any idea whether I can get replacements or has the time come to change the whole unit?

Cheers

Hi Matt I have not seen the 4 prong type for years and when I did see them they were in old fittings
would suggest electrical wholesaler or replace with new fittings

Nigel

A friend of mine who works for a large electrical wholesaler has just looked at this and seconded (thirded?) the advice to buy new fittings.

A typical price for a 6' switch start fitting should be about £10-£15 at trade prices.

Cheers

Neil

I know I have been lurking for a while but here goes with my 1st post .... I was in B&Q a week ago and they had 6' twin fluorescent light unit (with tubes and starters) for about £40-£45 new so maybe you would be better getting a new light. hope this helps.

Welcome to the forum,Fizzy :D

And I agree it's time to change the whole lot,not worth messing on for the price new lights are.

Andrew

I started in the commercial lighting industry in 1972. 4 pin starters had been obsolete for many years then!

Get a new fitting. More light and less power. As fluorescent lamps get older the light they produce falls - but they still use the same power. At the time it fails it could be down to 30% of a new lamps output.

All control gear from the major companies is now electronic. No chokes and starter switches anymore. Also it operates at 15-20kHz so no visible flashing or strobe effects.

I've just put up 2 GRP enclosure units in my workshop like these

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/FGDP258slashHF.html

Except I rescued mine from the old stock we disposed of when I closed my lighting business last year :)

Latest posts

Back