flexible filler

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joelsoo

Reaction score
Hi guys,

just started out woodworking and just stumbled onto this forums so i wondered anyone can help.

i made a cantilevered chair which in fact is pretty solid when u sit on it but no doubt there would still be a little flexing when u sit down.

i'm about to paint finish the chair and before that i would have to filler and sand down the joints nail head holes etc and was wondering if there is such a thing as a flexible filler where it can take on a little stress when someone sits on the chair. the flex is not much, i just need something to be able to withstand hairline cracks when u sit on it. (imagine u sit down then u see a hairline crack and get off the cantilever the crack covers back)

i thought of veneering the chair but because there are curves everywhere and i would need probably one sheet of 8 x 4 sheet of veneer alone to do 1 chair, ( i wanna make 4 for my dining room) that makes painting it or spray finishing it a more cheaper option.

any suggestions?

cheers
Joel

The problem with a lot of the flexible fillers is that they are not really suitable for sanding.

I would suggest an epoxy wood filler which is a bit like car body filler but easier to sand. You should be able to get this from one of the large sheds, cuprinol do one.

Jason

PS welcome to the forum

ahh... thanks jason... i'd lookout for that one then...:) what i had in mind of filling is the edge of a piece of 18mm plywood so that it would be filled to the extent that it will be not look like an exposed 18mm plywood edge and i'm painting over it.

is there a better way to prepare the edge for painting?

The epoxy will probably be the best option for the edges

Jason

Back