Flat top pen help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plymouth pirate

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all.
Bought a couple of flat top pen kits from S & B a while back and, unfortunately,they came without assembly instructions.
Looking at one of the "How to" videos on Turners Retreat it shows the top part, (the cap), of a similar pen being cut back after polishing so the tube can enter the centre ring on the cap.
Can anyone tell me the distance the wood has to be cut back please, looks about three mil on the video but dont want to make a mistake and cock things up.
I mailed S & B last week but I think their show has probably taken all their attention.
The pen's in the lathe waiting.
Regards
John

Where are all the pen makers when you need them...?

John, I guess you're going to have to wait until later today when they wake up .... perhaps they don't know the the destructions for flat tops........

Some instructions here - think you need the classic instructions (they supply S&B)

3 mm sounds about right - I think the instructions I had said 1/8th of an inch!

Hope this helps

Dave

Hi John
I haven't done one of these sorts before either! But I'm sure if the instructions others have posted links to are not the correct kit you should be able to find the instructions at one of the pen kits sites - you could try .
http://www.arizonasilhouette.com.

John, the Turners Retreat flat top american style fountain pen needs 3/16ths of an inch removing from the centre ring end of the shorter cap tube, if that helps.
Steve

Hi all.
Thanks for all your help. The 1/4" off was correct and it's finished.
Tried taking some photo's but can't get them of the phone camera to the computer. It's a nice kit though.
Anyway with all your help I've a load of new contacts now, so whatever comes in the future there should be a way of finding it easily.
Thanks again.
All the best.
John

Latest posts

Back