Fixings into Modern Wall Construction

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harbo

In Memorium
Reaction score
My daughter has recently moved into a house built about 11 years which I've been asked to fix shelves, curtains etc.
Preliminary test drilling indicates thermal blocks under plaster board, is extremely soft and my normal choice of plastic raw plug type not really suitable I think?

Looking through various catalogues there's numerous ones on offer - any recommendations for the most appropriate fixings gratefully received?

Rod

I've used frame fixings with success, I think the key is to drill with a masonry bit but not on hammer otherwise you end up with a welly top for a hole. Gluing the plug into the hole before fixing can also help.

I use makita's brick master bits, dealt do a version also, they drill any surface virtually, with no hammer action. Then I would use Fischer wall plugs, very good and strong fixing. I normally carry 2 sizes, I use the smaller size but keep the larger ones for if the hole blows out.
If there is any sort of cavity I use the metal fixings that require a setting tool to use, they are fantastic, never had one let go ever.

~Nil carborundum illegitemi~

There are fixings specifically for thermalite blocks - do a google search for 'thermal block fixings'. I've used ones by Plasplugs and Molly; they have a coarse thread that screws into the block, then you hammer a pin into a slot in the side of the plug that prevents it from turning - not as laborious as it sounds, and works well.

HTH Pete

Thanks for the advice - my house was built in the 70's (plastered clinker blocks?) and the "normal Rawlplug" type works without any problems.
She has bought curtain poles to span 3m and didn't want to have to use battens - my preliminary drilling showed otherwise.
As they are only supported at 3 places (2 ends and middle) with 3 concentrated holes at each in Turbo Blocks - it is not going to hold?

The house already has battens fitted for curtain tracks but too low down for curtain poles (the rings lower the curtains).
Not only that the battens are fixed with Gripfill as well as plugs as the now damaged plaster shows!

Daughters!?? :)

Rod

Back