Fixing suggestions for panel clock insert

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnny

Established Member
Reaction score
I could really use another perspective on this problem as all the ideas I have come up with are not particularly good.

As you can see the tube clock needs to fix into a thin 5mm plywood panel so that the majority of the clock is hidden behind the panel.

The clock case is thin metal so it is possible to soft solder /braze to and drill and screw .

The problem is it needs to resist vibration and suspension shocks from the vehicle and also stand up to the panel being lifted for locker access above the cab.

I would prefer a solution that uses wood but a mixed or all metal solution would be acceptable .
clock three.JPG
clock one.JPG
clock two.JPG
SAM_0066.JPG

I would suggest it is either suitable for vehicle shock/vibe or it isn’t. I have no idea how you’d tell without subjecting it to some. If I wanted to fit it to the panel I’d cut a hole fractionally larger and do a neat job with sealant to hold it in.

As for isolating it from damage by impact, I don’t think you’d like what would need to be done to do that

Aidan

thank you for your less than helpful reply.

If you read my post you will have doubtless noted that the insert panel is only 4.6mm thick !..............

it is not possible to glue a 100mm dia 40mm thick cylinder clock into such a thin panel and expect it to stay there ............its elementary physics .

That is why I explained that as it is to be fitted into a vehicle it will naturally receive some shock and vibration which the fixing will need to resist.

When vehicles ride over bumps and potholes and rough uneven roads,... vibration and shocks are transmitted from the road surface through the wheels and suspension into the vehicle which you can feel through the steering wheel and seat ;)

I hadn't thought that such a simple problem would confound all you woodworkers .:unsure:

I have decided to form a thin ply tube and glue it to a ply base to form a housing for the clock which will then be glued to the panel . it should then be a simple matter to devise a way to attach the back of the clock to the housing to leave a slight projection of the clock face at the front of the panel.

Gosh, if only I had about a decade of experience mounting equipment into vehicles, tanks, helicopters etc then I’d have some experience to fall back on, along with a degree in engineering to understand the physics... Nope, I’m all out, sorry

Cut a neat circular hole in the ply, to suit the clock, which you can neaten up with a flexible sealant.
On the back of the thin ply, glue four little bits of wood - about 25 x 25 x 100 ish. Arrange these so they snugly surround the back of the clock. Glue them to the clock with some more of the flexible sealant. If that's not strong enough, put a self tapping screw through each one, into the side of the tube. I'm assuming that the works of the clock will be in a little square central box, with plenty of empty space for the screws to poke through, but you can check that.

It doesn't need to be pretty!

Latest posts

Back