Fixing into birch ply edge

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:(

Sounds like I'm heading back to the original plan then - which was a combo of solid timber and veneered mdf. Oak might be OK in terms of cost....

But - now I'm worried about the two wine cubes with the big X separating them into four chambers. My plan for those was to simply cut a slot into each of the two 'arms' of the X and then slot them together. But in MDF - will the X bow?

Aready anticipating the answer about doing those X's in MDF.

So, if I'm going to do the X's in solid timber, what's the best practice... should I joint two boards of 175mm each or three boards of 116mm to make the 350mm that it needs to be?

Thanks.

Any guesses as to how these rails are fixed? No visible fixings or even plugs. And from other photos of the same construction, they don't appear to be fixed from the other side (i.e. through the side support and then into the rail).

Dowels and glue? There doesn't appear to be vast amounts of contact area for glue, but then again, maybe I tend to overengineer.

View attachment 143895

View attachment 143897
You can see dowels or plugs over screws in second picture of all the members holding wine bottles.

when screwing into man made board end grain, I pre-drill the screw holes and use screws 1/2 as long again.....
never had one pull out.....OK if u have the depth.....
oh, plus a spot of glue....
I use this form of fixing on all my quick fix together workshop cupboards....nothing pretty but functional....read cheap......
this is my auto electric roll-away cupboard, all made from scavenged 3x4 ply odd's n ends.....
was orig just one cupboard then needed a double up, hence diff drawer styles and steel frame.....
a few of those drawers have over 25kgs in em....might get around to useing some fence paint this summer....
IMG_4827.jpeg

when screwing into man made board end grain, I pre-drill the screw holes and use screws 1/2 as long again.....
never had one pull out.....OK if u have the depth.....
oh, plus a spot of glue....
I use this form of fixing on all my quick fix together workshop cupboards....nothing pretty but functional....read cheap......
this is my auto electric roll-away cupboard, all made from scavenged 3x4 ply odd's n ends.....
was orig just one cupboard then needed a double up, hence diff drawer styles and steel frame.....
a few of those drawers have over 25kgs in em....might get around to useing some fence paint this summer....
View attachment 150916
Now that's a cupbaord . Totally functional, well used. Not a high end spotless garage cabinet with tools in it for show only. I love it. Just my style.

Back