Fixing glass table top to metal discs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LancsRick

Established Member
Reaction score
Ignore the design of this table, I'm not interested, but have a look at the metal discs supporting the glass top...

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rct=j ... 9344350674

My question is what adhesive is likely to be used there? It needs to be uniform, colourless and fully transparent to not look ugly. There seem to be lots of posts on the internet about what people think would work, but I've not found anything with images from somebody who has actually done it.

Any ideas UKW?

Your link doesn't work for me.

Normally glass-to-metal joints are via a hole in the glass and some bits of plastic, not an adhesive.

Optically true adhesives are available. One such is known as Canada Balsam.
It needs to be fairly limpid so as not the trap air bubbles and the same refractive index as the glass to make it near invisible.

UHU make an adhesive that bonds glass to metal and is transparent when set.

I used it for bonding a raised glass breakfast bar to angled support posts at least 18 years ago......As far as I know, the breakfast bar is still stuck in position.

For a similar project I used
E6000
Excellent; clear, self levelling and does not set too quickly

I'm going to toss thus into the mix even though its not directly on point - https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&key ... 6439500534 (long link eh?). Museum gel, its not a glue but is used for non permanent fixing of 'stuff' to stuff when you don't want to see it. Our interior crew use it for loose and expensive interior items that are on display, mustn't move and are usually expensive as hell - they don't budge even in a rough sea. I say it isn't permanent but its seriously strong yet remains a gel that can be removed by peeling. all it needs is a decent surface area. Oh and its totally transparent.

Latest posts

Back