Fixing Cupboards

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary

Established Member
Reaction score
I have built several wall cupboards for the workshop and I am unsure as the best way to fix them to the workshop wall. Cupboards are similar to kitchen wall cupboards and the walls are concrete block.

Any fixing advice will be greatly appreciated as once full will no doubt weigh a fair bit.

Try to find a fixing method which will attach the sides of the cupboards to the wall. That way the fixings/joints between the ends of each shelf are taking the weight of the shelf, and contents. If the cupboard is hung from the top, as is often the case in kitchens, all the weight of the cupboard contents is taken by the joint between the top and the sides.

In a workshop you may find vertical battens fixed to the wall and then to the cupboard sides will do the trick.

xy

I'd say it depends on the construction.
If they have nice solid backs, then a french cleat is the way to go.
If they don't then I'd be tempted to fit a batten to the wall first then rest them on this and use brackets at the top. Nice big screws will help aswell.

I've got a couple of kitchen cabinets in the 'shop, and have simply used the fixing brackets which came with them. Each cabinet is full of books/magazines, so carries a lot of weight.

HTH.

Cheers

Karl

Yep, french cleats. See here for how I hung a couple of cabs on cleats (scroll down to fitting pics). Make sure the cabinet cleats are attached to the sides of the cabinet (i.e. the cabinet back will need to be recessed by the depth of the cleat. If you see what I mean... :? )

DangerousDave":ih6xkgdm said:
... Make sure the cabinet cleats are attached to the sides of the cabinet (i.e. the cabinet back will need to be recessed by the depth of the cleat. If you see what I mean... :? )

...as Xy Mosian said above...

(I really should learn to read posts properly :oops: )

lurker":23u0mev4 said:
Ask Wizer he is expert at fixing stuff to workshop walls. :roll:

There's obviously a story here I missed, care to share it?

Yes. I too have acupboard that I was hoping to hang on the shop (shed) wall. However, it's turning out to be much heavier than I'd thought now that I've decided to put drawers in, etc.

Trouble is, the back is only thin (9mm) ply and is set in a groove just 6mm from the back edge. Therefore, there is too little space to attach, say, a piece for a French Cleat at the back.

I wish I would think before I cut!

PerranOak,
If you have the space. Use two vertical battens fixed to the wall to form a shallow recess, place your cabinet within these and screw through the sides of the cabinet into the battens.

xy

PerranOak":69u9omb3 said:
Trouble is, the back is only thin (9mm) ply and is set in a groove just 6mm from the back edge. Therefore, there is too little space to attach, say, a piece for a French Cleat at the back.

What about using those triangular brackets, where you screw the bracket to the side and top of each corner of the cupboard and then screw the brackets to the wall. This type of thing http://www.woodfit.com/product_info.php ... ket+-+65mm

It would mean cutting a triangular-shaped piece out of each corner of the back of the cupboard but that shouldn't be too difficult.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Ah. the thing I forgot to say is that it's to go up in the shed on two of the supports. They are about 60mm wide and about 500mm apart!

I make things so difficult!

Back