Fixing a 10ft pole to a stone wall

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lexx

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok random I know, after fighting with for 15 years with BT to get any sort of broadband up here I've given up, the satellite solution I currently use is pants and was recently offered wifi from a local mast.

The installer came today but I need a 10ft pole to get the elevation I need, and the only place to fix it is the gable end which is a stone wall 2ft thick, he refused to install it saying that he couldn't guarantee that he would get a good fixing to the wall with thunderbolts or fisher fixings.

He has left me the brackets and told me that if I get them fitted securely he will come back and fit the wifi dish.

I would have liked to use threaded bar right through the wall but the inside is studded and I have no access bar a 2ft gap at the top in the loft due to the profile of the ceiling.

Given that the dish small that it is will be hanging off the end of a 10ft pole and I live on a windy mountain, can anybody suggest any way of fixing this securely, I don't want it becoming a lethal projectile....would I get away with using really long/heavy thunderbolts, I think fishers could blow the stone, had thought about chemical fixing, but its not really suited to stone unless you have a clean hole from what I can tell.

I'm not going near the workshop tonight, cause I've learnt from experience that anger and sharp tools aren't good bedfellows !! :evil:

Please help if you can, my heads fried, a lot depends on this :(

Karl

I would think you will have to go down the chemical route - what sort of stone wall is it?

Large section angle iron or a special plate with protruding lugs fixed into wall with several bolts to spread the load - mast bolted to that.

Or a tall telegraph pole 10' longer than the height of your roof? :)

Rod

Not knowing you're location whatever, I can imagine the problems a wall fixing can give in this instance.
As a suggestion, Would it be possible to fix a decent S/H Telegraph pole in the ground using a tractor and auger?
Rodders

Does it have to be fixed to the wall? Maybe you don't have the room but could a guyed pole be the answer?

I'm a radio amateur (ham) and have several 40 foot high 2 inch aluminium poles holding far, far bigger stuff than the wifi aerial you want to put up. They are just a few feet into the ground and then double guyed. Been there many years and have withstood all that mother nature could throw at them.

Find (Google) a local amateur radio club (there's bound to be one in a cave near you) and ask for help.

How is your wall built? Is it cement mortar between the stones or lime mortar? And how old? My experience in similar circumstances is that after drilling (using any sort of impact drill) the mortar surrounding the stone effectively liquifies, turns to mush and thus relieves the stone of any sort of solid fixing to its mates. The closer the stone is to the top of whatever wall, the worse the problem gets.

RobinBHM":1i3vhf8f said:
Ive found that this site great for information on fixing mounts.

http://www.satellitesuperstore.com/sate ... stands.htm

If you arent worried about looks, I would think about some quite large steel plates or angle that you could bolt in place to quite a few stone blocks with resin to spread the load, then attach your pole mounts to that.

good find and I think that there

http://www.satellitesuperstore.com/gsta ... 50300north

should suffice as the three contact points on each bracket will spread the load nicely

Thanks for the links/info...

The wall is stone and lime mortar I have used the sds to punch loads of holes through it over the years and it allways seemed quite stable... there was an existing pole which was rodded thru the wall but had to be removed as the timber beneath in had rotten out and it was swinging against the ridge tiles, heres a pic to give you an idea, its on the gable end to the right, this was an old chicken shed attached to the house that's now complete with the inside of that gable studded and plasterboarded.

Byre reroof sept04 18 [1024x768].JPG

He did offer to mount it on a 6ft pole on the chimney to the left, but not sure we can hit the transmitter from there and he wouldn't go on the roof incase he broke the slates :(

He has left me 2 of these ...

12-inch-k-wall-bracket.jpg

Still examining my options, can't erect a tower or use a telegraph pole, as the only place I have to put them is in the field behind the house and its too close to the mountain to clear it to the transmitter, that link to the heavy duty brackets could be an option, least I have food for thought, cheers.

Attachments

• Byre reroof sept04 18 [1024x768].JPG
    Byre reroof sept04 18 [1024x768].JPG
    171.5 KB · Views: 1,037
  • 12-inch-k-wall-bracket.jpg
    12-inch-k-wall-bracket.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 1,037

Latest posts

Back