Fitting hinges to boxes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stewart

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I'm making a writing case for my daughter and have hit a problem with the hinges - I've put them on but when the box is closed the two halves do not meet up properly - one slightly overhangs the other. :oops:

Are there any tips anyone can offer on how to fit hinges so that this won't happen! At the moment I'm looking at a lengthy sanding option to make the two halves flush!

Cheers

Stewart

Well I don't want to teach you how to suck eggs, but I always fix the hinges with only one screw per side, that way if things don't meet you still have two holes each side to adjust them with.

Thanks for the tip, Senior

I'm a long way from the stage where anyone is in danger of teaching me to suck eggs!

Also once you have fixed the first leaf of the hinge, you can use double sided tape to stick the other leaf to the top of the box, then you can position it exactly before marking your screw holes.

I think that tip featured in a recent copy of F&C, article by Kevin Ley.

Matt.

silly thought, have you recessed both sides of the hinge?
sometimes if you dont properly then the overlap pushes the top out of
kilter.

paul :wink:

Love to see some pics of that Stewart if you get a chance. It's one of those things on my ever increasing projects list.
Cheers Mike

Stewart.

It may be helpful to see a couple of pics.

Perhaps one with the box closed, and one of the hing with the box open.

Just a thought.

Hope you find a solution.

Thanks for the further replies, guys. Some more helpful tips. Gary, far too redfaced at the moment to post pictures! I think I can see where I've gone wrong. Will try to rectify and then post some pics!
Cheers
Stewart

Back