Fitting Cabinet Hinges

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jedmc571

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am about to build a media cabinet for under a LCD Tv, I did one in MDF 2 years ago, but recently the door fell off with an 11 month baby attached to it (she uses the handles to pull herself up, no injuries )
And so an updated version is required.

Is their an easy way of matching the hinges to the cruciform position inside the cabinet? I don't mind buying a jig, as long as I know it's worth it, this is the bit that frustrated me last time and I would like to get it right first time.

Also I am considering blockboard this time round, are their many benefits over MDF or should I stick with it, and perhaps buy the MR version instead?

Thanks in advance

As long as you set the holes back 37mm from the carcase edge and 32mm apart they will be correctly positioned, there are some cheap jigs on e-bay or just knock one up . If they are inset doors add the door thickness to the 37mm.

Blockboard is almost impossible to get hold of now but uou will find MR MDF a lot better than the standard grade.

Jason

Thaks Jason,

Are their any rules regarding what position you fit to the doors? and how far from the edge of the door do you go? I've sen anything from 3 to 8mm

Jed

Back