Fitted wordrobes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mailee

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a set of fitted wardrobes to price and have a problem if anyone can help. They are to be fitted each side of a chimmney breast and the house is an old cottage with stone walls. Should I apply a lining at the rear or could I just board up to the walls. The reason I am asking is that space is tight and the more room I can gain inside the robes the better. Many thanks. :?

mailee, I think it will depend on what the walls are covered with. If its plain stone then it might be a bit harsh on clothes. My wardrobes have no backs, but the walls are papered, so no impact on the clothes.

Mailee

A lot depends on the state of the walls, It may be better and cheaper to get them replastered first if that is an option.

Dennis

Yes it is an exterior wall and there is plaster on it already. It looks dry but it is summer at the moment so who knows what it will be like in the winter. ?

Old stone cottage walls are usually damp. There is normally no DPC because the moisture is an integral part of the wall composition (so I am led to believe - someone please correct if this is complete bull).

So, with this in mind...

I'd get a small square of plastic and fix it to the wall (making sure you seal all four sides to stop any air getting in) and see whether you get any condensation behind.

If not, then I'd not put backs in the wardrobes - any damp is unlikely to cause a problem (assuming the doors allow some ventilation).

If you do get condensation then I'd be tempted to make complete carcasses and ensure there is some breathing space between the wall and the back and sides of the wardrobe and that it is ventilated.

Is it an upstairs room? If so, then there won't be a damp problem - rising damp normally only gets to about 3 feet from ground level.

Personally I always back my furniture. It makes it much easier to make and square up, plus it keeps dust down esp if the wall isn't in great condition.

Cheers

Tim

tim":3bkq0stg said:
Is it an upstairs room? If so, then there won't be a damp problem - rising damp normally only gets to about 3 feet from ground level.

Personally I always back my furniture. It makes it much easier to make and square up, plus it keeps dust down esp if the wall isn't in great condition.

Cheers

Tim

In our house (chalk construction) we've got rising damp (no DPC) to about a meter, falling damp (rain penetration) and condensation :) As a result the entire downstairs is tanked (membrane, battens, new plaster board) however this sounds like an upstairs room so Tim is quite right rising damp will not be an issue. The only exception to this statement would be if someone has put waterproof render on the outside and waterproof render on the inside in which case rising damp can go one heck of a lot further up than 1 meter). Walls etc can still be damp especially if an outside coating is failing so I would certainly check for condensation but I would also check over a slightly longer timescale in case different wind conditions etc conspire to drive moisture into the house.

Can you make the back removable so that the wardrobe is not effected if the back is on or off so that you can check over a 6 month period and then you'll know for whole house?

Miles

miles_hot":1rldegv4 said:
Can you make the back removable so that the wardrobe is not effected if the back is on or off so that you can check over a 6 month period and then you'll know for whole house?

Miles

Excellent suggestion.

I always build my wardrobes with the back screwed in place from the inside, battened to the wardrobe sides.

The reason for this is mainly for ease of assembly both in the workshop and on site, but it also means that the back can be removed if necessary without dismantling the entire wardrobe.

I would recommend this approach

Cheers
Dan

I assume that Dan means with the battens behind the back panel, which is better for appearance, and also allows air to circulate. But in your case Mailee where you are tight for room it may be better to have the battens fixed to the front of the back panel then screwed to the sides.

Dennis

dennis":lionkl2l said:
I assume that Dan means with the battens behind the back panel, which is better for appearance, and also allows air to circulate. But in your case Mailee where you are tight for room it may be better to have the battens fixed to the front of the back panel then screwed to the sides.

Dennis

Actually I put the battens on the front of the back so that I can fix them to the sides from inside the wardrobe.

I doesn't look quite as good but it speeds the assembly process up no end.

Dan

you could just use pocket screws instead of battens

wizer":2r7v3t92 said:
you could just use pocket screws instead of battens

Not really.

I make the back frame up from 6mm or 9mm veneered MDF with 22mm battens all round glued and screwed to the front from the back.

These battens are then screwed to the wardrobe side.

If you put the battens on the back you could use pocket screws in to the side panels but it is almost certain that you would foul up the MDF in the process, leaving an unsightly mess.

Far better a few neat screw heads and battens IMHO.

Cheers
Dan

I would always go for backs in wardrobes. A while ago i worked in a modern cavity built house that had had wardrobes built in the main bedroom when the house was built.
There were no backs & the lady of the house complained of black mould forever appearing at skirting height inside the wardrobes.
The house was double glazed & well insulated, but with little ventilation. The wall inside the wardrobe must have been the coldest spot, it was north facing, & as a result this is where the condensation formed & so the mould grew.
I`m not saying an air gap behind the robes would have stopped the mould growth, but it would not have given rise to the problem inside the wardrobe.
If this can happen in a modern house, i would think it even more likely in an old one.

Thanks for all the replies guys, That has made up my mind I am going to put backs in just to be on the safe side. I shall do some working out for the space and if necessary extend the robes forward. Worth it for the peace of mind. Will let you know how I get on. :D

Back