fitted wardrobe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fittedfurnishings

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am wanting to build a fitted wardrobe out of mdf.
I made a level plinth/base
Then I made an 18mm carcass with a 10mm mdf back
The walls are wonky so i have to scribe the face frame to fit the wall.
I want to have the 18mm doors (x2) hung off concealed cabinet hinges but I want them inside a faceframe.
Do I use full overlay hinges so that the 18mm doors overlap the 18mm carcass and the frame is attached to a baton that is attached to the side off the carcass
Or do i use inset cabinet hinges that are mounted off the carcass (the face frame is attached on top of the carcass edge and is scribed to the wall) That surely would leave the doors flush with the face frame.

I find doing both techiques there seems to always be a problem in that there is always a 1mm gap between the carcass edge and the door edge when the door is closed meaning that the door sticks out from the face frame by 1-2mm

This is causing me massive problems. No one seems to be able to help.

many thanks

bob

Does the faceframe overhang the inside edge of the carcase or is it flush as this will affect the thickness of mounting plate needed.

If it is flush then use an inset hinge which has a canked arm, with a fully inset hinge you will be able to use the in-out adjustment of the hinge to get the door flush with the faceframe as there is no batten that the door has to clear.

If it overhangs then let us know by how much and we can suggest a suitable plate/hinge combination.

Jason

Bob,

I had a similar problem with simliar face frames in a kitchen and I just did this:

IMG_1222.jpg

I used Hettich Sensys soft close hinges which have loads of adjustment and the doors line up perfectly.

Cheers
Mike

Jason and Mike,

Ah that's great. 2 solutions to my problem. Thanks very much for helping me out.

What fully inset hinges should I use? Could you recommend me the exact type?

Many thanks,

Bob

Hinge Blum 71T9750

Plate Blum 173H7100

Assuming faceframe does not overhang carcase

J

Brilliant. That's great. What site do you recommend buying these hinges and plates from?
All the sites I have found are american, are there any british companies/sites that sell these products?
Many thanks,
Bob

Back