First wooden plane!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trizza":oweh1zmi said:
You're an evil man Phil! Now look what you made me do....

Well I do my best...... :wink:
Looks like some nice bits there - break them down into plane sized pieces and put them in the warmest/driest part of the 'shop.

Cheers
Philly :D

Any thoughts/rules of thumb on how long to leave kiln dried maple/beech before use? I know in the luthiery world (my main sub-hobby) they say a year per inch thickness, but they tend to be far more picky about things like that - even a little tiny bit of neck warpage makes a huge difference on the playability of a stringed instrument. I mean, obviously the drier the better, but how far do you need to take it for a cheap user plane body that you're already expecting to need to true up with changes of seasons etc?

Shame Christmas is just around the corner - if I didn't have a huge list of presents I need to get then I'd order a moisture meter right now...

Another woodie convert, we're winning Phil.
I've just been given some moulding plane irons, but darned if I know when I'll be able to make bodies for them.
Some day! :lol:

Roy.

Tristan
What I do when I buy timber is to break it down into plane sized pieces and weigh and date each piece. They get put up on the high, drying shelves and I weigh each again every few weeks to check its progress. This can be quite an interesting little task - its surprising how much/little some boards have in them.
Once they stop losing weight they have reached equilibrium with the workshop and ready to rumble.
Hope this helps,
Philly :D

Digit":cmthcq27 said:
Another woodie convert, we're winning Phil.
I definitely prefer my woodie to the metal planes I've owned/used, and its only a rough prototype with a crappy blade :D

Philly":cmthcq27 said:
What I do when I buy timber is to break it down into plane sized pieces and weigh and date each piece. They get put up on the high, drying shelves and I weigh each again every few weeks to check its progress. This can be quite an interesting little task - its surprising how much/little some boards have in them.
Once they stop losing weight they have reached equilibrium with the workshop and ready to rumble.
Yeah, think thats the way to go, I'll give it a shot - cheers mate :)

Back