First two bowls.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frugal

Established Member
Reaction score
After playing with some spindle work I decided to have a try at a couple of bowls for the first time.

The first was from a walnut blank that I picked up from the Gloucester Woodturning Association a year ago. It is mostly sap wood rather than heart wood so it is very light. The bowl is a very simple shape. I was trying to figure out how to take the tenon off of the bottom when SWMBO said that she liked it so it stayed ;) The bowl has a diameter of 6" and a height of 2".

The second is from one of three pieces of ash that I rescued from the firewood pile at a reenactment event last year. I needed to rough it to shape on the bandsaw before putting it on a screw chuck to rough it to a cylinder and cut the tenon. As my little lathe is not that heavy I needed to clamp it down to the workbench to stop it walking off of the end of the bench.

The walls are 5mm thick down the sides of the bowl, thickening out near the bottom as I bottled out of making the bottom as thin as the sides. It was originally going to have the top curving in more but that required more skill than I had and after a number of catches and a loss of nerve the sides ended up straight. The overall size is 8" in diameter and 4" high which is about as large as I am going to be able to manage on my little lathe. I was already having problems as the banjo could not fit under the bowl when it was on the lathe.

I must confess that I had real problems with the inside of the bowl and the only thing I am really happy with is the indentation in the bottom where I took off the tenon. I could not angle the bowl gouge to undercut the sides and the bottom (mainly because the rest I have is too short). I ended up using a scraper to do most of the inside, and it left some undulations on the inside.

Both bowls are finished with a coat of Chestnut Shellac Sanding Sealer and a couple of coats of clear Briwax.

I think you've done a smashing job. My first bowls where nothing like as good as this. In fact it was bowl 15 or more before I got here. You're a natural! ;)

If those are your first two bowls then I expect to see something really special from your workshop they \re really good both in design and workmanship. Most peoples first bowls are flat bottom straight sided ones and have rings and things showing. Like Tom I didn't achieve bowls like that for a good few attempts.

Pete

Really good first bowls frugal, don't leave it so long before converting some more wood on the spinny machine.

First Bowls ? - then very well done !

The second what is called a calabash ?

Loz

Fantastic work, especially for a first attempt. Much better than mine!

The first one has a nice curve to it and looks well finished.

The second one looks great. That shape is difficult to turn and you look to have done a good job. The figuring is excellent, and just shows what people throw away or burn.
I find the problem with that shape is knowing which tool to use. If you use a gouge and try to keep bevel contact all the way along the inside then on the wall you'll be going 'up hill' and may get a bad finish or catches. Scrapers may well be the best tool for the job, or even a hollowing tool.

Well done and keep it up

Two very good first attempts at bowls there :D With regard to getting a smoth finish etc. its like anything else, each one you do you will get better, with less catches etc. Keep up the good work 8)

JT

Wow, I can honestly say that I was not expecting such praise. You guys are not shy about criticism if you don't really like something, so this feedback makes me really want to get out in the workshop and make more stuff. I just have to finish swearing at these raised beds I am currently making for the veg patch.

frugal":2y2nfc1l said:
I just have to finish swearing at these raised beds I am currently making for the veg patch.

Oh god, I've got that task in the coming weeks. Not looking forward to it at all. Why can't late winter/early spring be warm?

Tell, me about it. We live on the north side of a steep hill. Not only do I have to contend with a sloping garden, but when I picked up some of the boards at 3pm yesterday afternoon they still had frost on them ;( However I need to get them done and everything moved before the asparagus starts to grow...

Back