First project questions

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Den Dezyn

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi i have decided upon my first project a headboard a design found online i will make it from black walnut using glue and pocket screws to join.

headboard.jpg

My questions are
1. i have created a cutting list and have added 10mm to each piece to work out the quantity of wood i require is this adequate or should i recalculate.
2. i have pva will this be ok for this or do i need a different glue and also should i be dying the glue dark if so with what.
3. a bit premature but how should i finish it, oil, poly or wax.
4. as this is my first project should i make mock up in some cheap softwood first so i dont make the mistakes (im sure there will be some) on the walnut i could put it in the spare room so it wouldnt go to waste.

thanks
Den

Den Dezyn":1v5wavig said:
My questions are
1. i have created a cutting list and have added 10mm to each piece to work out the quantity of wood i require is this adequate or should i recalculate.
2. i have pva will this be ok for this or do i need a different glue and also should i be dying the glue dark if so with what.
3. a bit premature but how should i finish it, oil, poly or wax.
4. as this is my first project should i make mock up in some cheap softwood first so i dont make the mistakes (im sure there will be some) on the walnut i could put it in the spare room so it wouldnt go to waste.
Den

1. Depends on how accurate you are with your cutting, I would have a few spare.
2. PVA is fine as long as you wipe it off with a damp cloth asap
3. 3 or 4 coats of oil with a light rub with some fine abrasive between coats then wax
4. If you can afford it, get a thin (4mm) sheet of ply, lay it somewhere flat and draw your headboard full size, square and accurate, with a hard pencil, this gives you a thin line, then do away with your tape and mark all your pieces off the drawing.

Hope this may be of some help
Andy

I don't know how you would dye PVA glue but if you want dark glue then have a look at this

Great suggestion by Andy to draw it out full size on a sheet of plywood.

Are you going to use the pocket hole plugs? Those holes can look ugly if they can be seen on the finished piece.

regards

Brian

Thanks for the replies great idea with the full size plan will follow that as well as the finishing. Brian i expect the rear of the headboard to be facing the wall so i hadnt planned on plugging the pocket holes.
Den

Depending on where you get your walnut and if it is prepared (planed to size) or rough sawn, you can find a lot of sapwood which is paler than heartwood. This is quite difficult to spot on rough sawn boards. Reject any that show signs of bark or rounded edges as these will be more vulnerable to sapwood.
You can stain it with vandyke crystals or you need to allow extra for wastage. say 50%
Buying it prepared will avoid the problem but the cost will not only reflect the preparation costs but also the lower yield due to sapwood.

hth

Bob

Den,
Have you considered that most of your joints could be laps and half-laps which are not that difficult and a lot neater than pocket screws? Being long-grain to long-grain joints they would also be very strong just glued or with also a screw from behind.

Half lap joints sound great but that will increase my timber needs by a great deal surely, i will work it out and then consider my options thanks
Den

cant pva glue be dyed with iodine to make it darker (i dont know where i`ve heard this in a book perhaps #-o ) i cant find any info online to back this up, but though i would put it out there.

cheers.

Back