First project - halfway stage (WIP)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BelgianPhil

Established Member
Reaction score
I am building a cart type of thing to pull the kids around in when we go to theme parks or carboot sales. It is my first project and i joined a woodworking class to get some help and tips.

This is where i am after many weeks. It's frustratingly slow work with a 3 year old and a 7 month old, but i'm getting there.

Next job is to cut some fins to stiffen the rear axle strut, cut the front and back of the top, assemble the top and mount it on the base.
Then perhaps shortening the axles a bit. Anyone in Birmingham with a metalwork lathe to cut the grooves for the cerclips?
Oh and applying a finish and cutting plugs for the screw holes and ...
DSC00182.JPG

DSC00183.JPG

DSC00184.JPG

DSC00185.JPG

DSC00186.JPG

DSC00187.JPG

And before anyone asks, yes that front bit is a spade handle attached to some reclaimed rafters.

I think that's a very nice job you're doing there, kids should be chuffed to bits.

You could cut the grooves for the circlips with a hacksaw if you're careful, perhaps knock up a little wooden jig to guide the blade and keep the slot square and uniform.

Very nice.

I built a similar one over 30 years ago for my kids (from a BBC design I think?) - it had low sides to help keep them in!

Still going strong and brought out occasionally to move stuff around the garden and the Grandkids.
Family Heirloom? :)

Rod

I didn't make it really clear in my original post but there will be a top for this trolley. I already cut, shaped and sanded the sides.
DSC00206.JPG

All i have to do now is make the front and rear panels and assemble the top.

sorry i dont think i read the original post properly, have re-read it. so it was my fault. still looks good

adidat

congratulations - a lovely build. Bet the kids will love it. I had something like this when I was a toddler, t'was my favorite toy at the time.

David

The end is in sight!

Assembled the top, i had a guy cut a section out of the axles and weld them back together to make the whole thing narrower. Painted the axles with red oxide primer.

DSC00263.JPG

I still have to
* fill the holes with plugs (i have 12mm holes and 1/2" plugs :( )
* paint the axles silver
* give the whole thing a final sanding and varnish it

I did a dry fit of the axles this morning and let the kids play with it for a bit: http://picasaweb.google.com/philipp...key=Gv1sRgCIqb9ML229Sr0AE#5541195620392543954

Your little man looks like he's loving it mate, well done.

If you're after a 12mm plug cutter there's one here but you're probably better getting one off Ebay with free P&P. I'm gonna try and build my 2yr old girl a ride-on plane for Christmas, we'll see how it goes, I'll upload a WIP.

Nice work mate_Dan

Looks good but my concern would be the strength at the end of the "pull bar" I would want a metal sheath around it where the bolt goes through to the chassis. The odd bump in the ground and a child in the truck and it wont take much to make it fail. I had a similar mechanism on a garden trolley and that went a couple of times.

Good job Phil. Love the Heart cut out in the tail gate.
What about a box - seat to double up as a freight compartment for all the boot sale treasure?

@Dan: most 12mm cutters are actually 12.7mm. I'll just sand the ones i have down until i can get them in the holes.

@Russel: Do you mean the fork handle breaking? Here's a picture from the underside:
DSC00267.JPG

@Richard: That's the plan indeed :) As they grow they will need the bench so their legs are bent 90 degrees. Damn kids! All they do is eat and grow :roll:
Then again, as the cart fills up they'll have to pull it :twisted:

nice project

Its bigger than it looks when you watch the vid clip

must be able to get lots of toys in it :wink: sorry I ment tools

You can put the children on top of the tools to keep them safe :lol:

Latest posts

Back