first piece of indexing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wood yew believe it !

Established Member
Reaction score
this is my first ever attempt at indexed work, done with out any indexing tools or equipment, im happy with it as it is my first ever and to be quite honest i didnt realy have a clue, just kind of played it by ear, had a ruler, pencil, and a piece of paper, goes to show sometimes you dont need "all the gear", just a bit of imagination, not only that, i simply cant afford the gear, anyway its an ash bowl 18cm by 6cm with 12, 8, and 6mm plugs made of mahogany with a brywax clear wax finish, hope you like.

dave

woodturningandstuff122.jpg

woodturningandstuff123.jpg

Yes Pete, some lathes have built in indexing (Nova DVR 4 eggs), some chucks have an indexing ring, you can also buy add on indexing plates such as the Sorby one.

If you know a good metal turner/engineer they should be able to make one up for you... a friend did that for his segmented work where he needed more than the usual 24 stops.

you may need to rig some kind of locking system to prevent movement from your chosen spot :wink:

make your own indexing plate - it will cost the price of a scrap piece of wood and it can be made to divide into any amount of increments.

make a disc of wood (thin mdf) as large as your lathe will take - divide it up with a protractor inot as many segments as needed, 1 inch in form the edge drill holes at each increment just large enough for a tight fit on a nail -
it is now ready to use - put in on before your chuck or faceplate - and tighten your work on after
with another scrap bit of wood - drive a nail through it so as when clamped to the lathe bed between work and indexing plate the nail will line up with the predrilled holes -
then simply rotate work - wedge nail through hole to fix work in place - carve router etc and then move on to the next hole

simple bit effective - i have used one for may years and has worked perfectly...

w y b i that looks realy nice, and i am learning all the time cos i did not know what indexing was at all :oops:

Latest posts

Back