First pen

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spinks

Established Member
Reaction score
Be gentle, and the title is a bit of a wee fib...its actually my second attempt at a pen as the first one was terrible!!

The pen kit is a simple slimline kit from Ockenden timber, turned from corian and sanded through to 1500 grit finished with a set of hard wax polishes recommended by George Watkins for his resin bowl blanks.

Feel free to critique away and advance apologies for the poor photo quality!!

20131023_195556.jpg

Attachments

• 20131023_195556.jpg
    20131023_195556.jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 844
Looking good!
I'm not massively experienced myself, having only done about 6 pens so far, but it's a satisfying hobby, isn't it?

I've never tried Corian yet, and from pictures of the stuff before turning, I never fancied it. You have just changed my mind, looks very nice and I reckon you got a good finish there too. Hope it's the first of many!

FYI the best source of pen kits that I've found so far is an Aussie company, http://www.timberbits.com/ very competitive, huge range and shipping is surprisingly reasonable.

Nic.

Its just pen size honest!! Or is that the worlds biggest Ipod behind it??? I really need to sort out a proper light box for photographing my turnings!!

Nice pen well Done I Like To Finish corian With a coat of T Cut The same Stuff They Polish cars With be Surprised With results
Regards
Bill

+1 for timber bits....... I only go there for my kits. Exallent postage..... cheaper than most companies in this country.
Only pit fall is order well in advance of when they will be needed for, as have a long way to come and usually take 2-3weeks.

I use hut plastic polish on my corian and acrylic pens... shine like glass.

Lastly welcome to the slippery slope! !! Very addictive

Attachments

• 20131001_110805.jpg
    20131001_110805.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 659
Thanks for all the comments guys, have stocked up on bits over the weekend and have a day off tomorrow so some more attempts will be made!!

Latest posts

Back