First ever piece of turning...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeterBassett

Established Member
Reaction score
I started a "woodworking and wood turning" course at our local college and this is the first piece i did on the lathe.
2851_73175405793_634950793_1889784_3066215_n.jpg

Its ash, 5 1/2" in diameter, finished to 400 grit and then three coats of danish oil.

I must admit, I'm pretty chuffed with it. The next one is a much bigger (10" or so) bowl in Oak...We'll see how it goes.

Pete

PeterBassett":msb7opdd said:
the first piece i did on the lathe.

Lies i tell you !!!

Thats Lovely Pete, Very well done !!!

Nicely done Pete
Not the easiest shape to start with (sometimes difficult getting a smooth transition from the inner wall to the base) but it looks good.
Well finished as well

Duncan

You've pretty much trounced anything I've ever done! ...and I started in December!

Very well done. Ash is my favourite wood. My only comment is that unfortunately the Danish Oil will make it eventually go a rather horrid pee yellow colour.... DAMHIKT.

I can't imagine what your next piece will be, hollow forms? :lol:

Hey thanks all!

Wizer : Pee Yellow? pipper, I hope not, it's a very nice light brown at the moment. My camera work lies, it's not as orange as the picture shows. What finish would you recommend? Wax of some sort? I have no point of refernece but the ash was really nice, solid, dense not much in the way of pours...

duncanh : Perhaps I should admit that the transition point inside did have some nasty lines on it for quite a while. Took but the best part of half an hour to sand them out with 80 grit. The outside was fine though.

Loz : Heh! I swear, not a word of a lie.

cornucopia : Olive figure? Could you point it out please? I don't know what that is...

Thanks again, always good to get positive feedback...

Pete

That is excellent Pete.
I particularly like the thin edge. The finish at the moment looks good,
but as Tom has pointed out, Danish oil on Ash tends to yellow. Time will tell.
First turning, 100% Well done.

john. B

I'm afraid it's a natural phenomenon with Ash. Danish Oil in particular is known to make it eventually go yellow. I built a baby walker last year and it's done just that. Personally I like the light natural colours of Ash, so I've been experimenting with a Shellac Sanding sealer and Lacquer. All water based finishes will also prevent this phenomenon.

Don't worry too much. You'll be sick of the sight of bowls in a couple of year. ;)

This will show you the contrast between normal Ash (bottom) and Olive Ash (top)

DSC_0803.JPG

Well done Peter, cutting consistently enough to get to that thickness on a first bowl is good, (assuming it's not down to a lot of sanding :lol:).

Don't get too fixated on needing to use the 80grit gouge to remove awkward marks, time and practice will find you having to resort to it less and less, although there is many an experienced turner that will resort to it rather than fight the tool or wood passed a particular recalcitrant bit.

wizer : Ah well, if it changes colour, so be it...All the bowl looks like that top bit in your picture.

CHJ : Whatever tool does the job! I'm not proud... :lol:

John B : Thanks very much.

I wish my first bowl had been that good...and the 2nd....and the 3rd.....

Look forward to seeing the ongoing work as it seems promising.

Pete

Back