first chuck

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digitalsmokehead

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm in the market for buying my first chuck. The only problem i have is finding one that is in stock somewhere.

I have an Axminster awsl1000 and was recommended to get the K10 chuck with dovetail jaws but they aren't available for a few months.

Knowing little about chucks i'm unsure about an alternative, recommendations please.

I was in the same position as you a few days ago. After lots of research I decided on the Robert Sorby Patriot which I ordered from Poolewood Machinery, it arrived next morning and was on special offer just over £128 including first class postage. I phoned my order in so I could check stock and they were really helpful.

The K10 is direct threaded. If you ever want to upgrade to a lathe with a different thread to the one you have now you will have to replace the chuck. The G3 is also direct threaded.

Whereas The Versachuck, Patriot, Axminster SP all have demountable headstock adapters so all you need do is buy a new adapter.

If I were you I'd go for the Versachuck which is very good value and adaptable. And as already mentioned you will always get good help and advice from Peter at the Toolpost.

digitalsmokehead":2kym7303 said:
Thanks fellas.. just ordered the versachuck and a new grinder from Peter. Very friendly sounding chap.

cheers again.
And if you share my experience, the service will amaze. I don't know if you collected or are having it posted but the new bits I ordered for mine got here in two days - to France that is.

If you collect arrange for a second mortgage or understanding wife on standby - you will not just leave with the chuck :) LOL

Back