First Attempts

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary Morris

Established Member
Reaction score
These are my first attempts using my Diamond Scroll Saw (aka Betty) and my first attempt at posting pictures, the hippo is made out of oak and sealed with diluted shellac, finished with lacquer. The car is mahogany, sealed with shellac and finished in same, the wheels were bought.
The hippo is from Spielmans Original Scroll Saw Patterns book and the car is my own design using Inkscape.

Gary

Attachments

• hippo2.jpg
    hippo2.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 1,099
  • Car 1.jpg
    Car 1.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 1,099
Hi Guys and thank you all for the comments.
Waka the wheels are dry fitted, I used a 5mm drill (i knew the dia of the half axle before hand (5mm)) I thought I would need a spot of glue, but found they were a tight fit and pushed straight in. I think if I gave them away I would glue them first, so they don't swallow the small pieces. I bought the wheels and axles of the web. When I get more experienced I'd like to do a truck from plans, they look magic.

Gary

Nicely made, Gary :) . I particularly like the lines of the car you designed.

Richard Blizzard designed some lovely patterns for trucks many years ago. Have you seen them?

Hi Jimi
Shellac is a crushed bug, you can buy different types, I bought Blonde de waxed shellac - it's a powder that is added to methylated spirits (I also added some boiled linseed oil, which I read gives the mixture a little longer drying time)
I'm no expert in this field, I bought it from ebay and followed the instructions on the site. The shellac can be used as a final finish or diluted with more meths, this can be used as sanding sealer. The blonde de waxed is reported to give a clear finish, there are other flavours that give yellow / orangey tints. Hope this helps

Gary

Latest posts

Back