First attempt at a goblet/chalice/cup

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for this Mick. The one's I'd seen ahve all got silly prices, so this will make it so much easier to get cash from SWMBO (or maybe she'll even let me 'borrow' my card to pay for it!!).

Definitely something I need to get, and reading through the description it's ideal for me.
Page bookmarked until needed. :)

Cheers again Mick.

Gerry,

Stand up to her, tell her you need a chuck and you are going to get a chuck :twisted: :twisted:

Then when she has finished beating the living sh#t out of you ,

Escape into England till the dust dies down :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

gerrybhoy70":3ltaz7jn said:
Thanks for this Mick. The one's I'd seen ahve all got silly prices, so this will make it so much easier to get cash from SWMBO (or maybe she'll even let me 'borrow' my card to pay for it!!).

Definitely something I need to get, and reading through the description it's ideal for me.
Page bookmarked until needed. :)

Cheers again Mick.

I've got one too, and whilst it's not 1thou perfect it does the job...........but, for orders up until Monday it's only about 60 inc postage with their summer sale offer (code 747 at checkout).

Not sure about the K8 but the Nova jaws fit it, I just added a set of long nosed jaws to my collection and they fit both my Nova G3 and the Dakota. (fitted even better once I found the tiny dotted numbering system on the bottom of the jaws)

I did once have an idealistic plan to collate jaw and chuck information but it became an overwhelming task and I gave up. It would be a god send though if a simple chart of chucks and their compatible jaws could be cobbled together don't ya think?

SWMBO finally convince, and chuck ordered. :D

Took the recommendation and ordered the Dakota Kit from Rutlands, and hopefully it'll be here in a day or two.

Again, thanks to Mick for the link.

Once it arrives, then hopefully there'll be no stopping me.

BTW - I finally learned how to use the skew chisel. Haven't had a dig/catch for 4 days now, as opposed to cnstant chunks flying everywhere.

Anyhoo, better keep my end of the deal (am on the dishes & hoovering today!! lol)

Gerry

"BTW - I finally learned how to use the skew chisel. Haven't had a dig/catch for 4 days now, as opposed to cnstant chunks flying everywhere."

Don't worry Gerry, it's just waiting and when you least expect it :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: ! Great to use though init and what a lovelt finish 8) 8)

Blister - feather duster, marigolds, the works. :)

John - I'm fully expecting you to be dead right, and for it to snag or catch just when I least want it to.
Really enjoying using it now, and yeah - excellent finish. Makes sanding a pleasure (almost) rather than a chore. :)

Well, chuck fitted and running true so thought it was time I gave it a whirl. :mrgreen:

Again, not the greatest pics, but done this little bowl.
Not sure of the wood species. Been told it's apple, but not convinced.

Finish is tung oil & beeswax.

Still leaving some tooling marks, but I'm sure I'll soon get the knack of that too.

John - you're right. She'd never look on the lathe. She won't even go near it cos she's terrified of it. :twisted: :twisted:

Gerry

Attachments

• 2011-09-05 14.30.04.jpg
    2011-09-05 14.30.04.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 497
  • 2011-09-05 14.42.17.jpg
    2011-09-05 14.42.17.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 497
Nice looking bowl Gerry, I like the markings around the outside. Have you thought of Inlaying the grooves with cooper wire or a colour filler. Not that I think you have not done a great job.
Come on the HOOPS
Hail Hail

Dermot.

Cheers Dermot.

Hadn't thought of inlays yet - still trying to get the cuts right first. lol.

Whereabouts in South Ayrshire are you?
I'm in Dailly.

YNWA
HH

(homer) <--- Homer Timson :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Gerry

Even smaller than most people think - I was in Girvan just 2 hours ago!!
Last nights wind decided it wanted to take my shed felt with it, so needed to get new stuff.
No chance of replacing it til the weekend though with the way the weather is right now.
All I can say is thank god for polythene dust sheets!! lol

Back