First acrylics

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pip

Established Member
Reaction score
First attempts at turning acrylics, I've left the lower blanks a bit too thick on the top two, but really enjoyed turning these, think I'm hooked!

morning pip, hmm you did a good job regards the turning, but they look a little too big around the centre band, and are way too thick overall for my taste, especially as its a slimline pen.
Pleased you are hooked on them, you get great satisfaction from the achievement of making a pen, and even better when someone wants to buy it, or you give it as a gift.

I have to agree - too bulbous for me, but I admire your ability to get this evil stuiff turned round! I can't seem to do it, even though I am a lot better at getting sharp tools! Well done you.

Yup, I agree with Steve.
I'm not keen on waisted pens, I like a little shaped for-part but I think your's are a little too shaped.
Slimline pens need to be reasonably slimline, if you want to make them thicker you can always buy bigger centre rings, £5.00 for 10 on the bay.
Or make your own centre rings from contrasting dense wood eg. blackwood, box etc.
Also I think the nib-end tip should blend into the body of the pen, ie. there should not be any step or ledge.
and that includes the middle and the clip end.
Having said all that, I hope I'm not being too critical. (For who am I to criticize) :shock:
I love the acrylic, and I think you have a done a good first pen turning.
(Even more, It's good to see another one on the slippery pen slope) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:

John. B

Afraid I have to agree, "cinched" waists on slimlines just don't work. Another possibility is to use two contrasting timbers or acrylics and do away with the centre band altogether like this...

3578476824_f48c51f6de.jpg

Or try a more flowing shape like this...

3974497466_475bc27e18.jpg

Just a small point, i think i can see the brass of the tubes through the acrylic. It is sometimes needed to paint the tubes before they are glued in to the blank. I also feel that the bottom of the pen needs to be thinner. All that aside you have made a good job with your first attempt. :)

Thanks for the input guys, all ideas taken on-board, these were the first 3 acrylics and were more or less experiments to see what sort of finish I could get, the shapes aren't very nice I have to agree and the tubes do show through the blanks, but out of harsh lighting the tubes seem to give an iner glow which ain't half bad, finish on these was MM wet and a polish with Solvol Autosol.
Back to some wooden ones now, it's cheaper to experiment with.
Thanks again,
pip

Hi Pip,

I finish acrylics with Brasso or Silvo, leaves a beautiful sheen.

Brendan

Bmac, The last time I used Brasso, it was in liquid form, this newer stuff is like what used to be called "Duraglit"

Brittleheart, Where do you get Xerapol from? Love the blue pen by the way, very classy

Which is the best quality "Click" type pen? please and who supplies them?
(This game is going to cost me a fortune)

Cheers!!
pip

Pip, I use Silvo that comes on a kind of impregnated pad that you just tear bits off but I'm going to give this Xerapol a go.

Brendan

I use solvol-autosol chrome polish or burnishing cream, either will bring it to a high gloss.
However, both these follow sanding to 12000 micro-mesh used with water to form a slurry.

John. B

Pip":2m5bxd9f said:
Bmac, The last time I used Brasso, it was in liquid form, this newer stuff is like what used to be called "Duraglit"

Brittleheart, Where do you get Xerapol from? Love the blue pen by the way, very classy

Which is the best quality "Click" type pen? please and who supplies them?
(This game is going to cost me a fortune)

Cheers!!
pip

I get my Xerapol off e-bay. My favourite click pens are THESE

John B is right though, you do need to sand down through the grades of micromesh first to get a really good finish.

Thanks for your comments on the blue pen, It is made from one of the Chestnut Products acrylic blanks. These are very translucent and you really do need to paint the tubes to avoid them showing through.

Latest posts

Back