Firewood to dish thing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam Pinson

Established Member
Reaction score
Lovely bit of rescued Olive firewood, this thing sounded like a single engine Cessna on the lathe!
photo_2021-04-27 16.06.29.jpeg

Lovely, some great proportioning.

Ohh and ahh definitely warranted :cool:

Im just thinking that would look great for my lap. crusty bread on the sides, something tasty in the middle

That's a lovely dish Adam and I really like the shape of the wings.

But I was once told that a very well known and high up pro turner had once said on a bit of youtube that if you start with firewood then all you finished up with was firewood, along with the insinuation that that's where it should go. It just goes to prove that no matter how perfect you are you can still be bleedin wrong big time.

Just as a matter of interest this was my lump of firewood

Tractor 01.jpg

Tractor Challenge 2.jpg

And I finished up with three!

Tractor 18a.jpg

I suppose that he was right? After all they would burn :unsure:

That's a lovely dish Adam and I really like the shape of the wings.

But I was once told that a very well known and high up pro turner had once said on a bit of youtube that if you start with firewood then all you finished up with was firewood, along with the insinuation that that's where it should go. It just goes to prove that no matter how perfect you are you can still be bleedin wrong big time.

Just as a matter of interest this was my lump of firewood

View attachment 109322

View attachment 109323

And I finished up with three!

View attachment 109324

I suppose that he was right? After all they would burn :unsure:
I like what you've done with your firewood, that's a bit impressive 🤟😁

Adam, I did something similar with a chunk from my brother's firewood pile. He has a small house on the Greek island of Lesbos. His firewood is infested with woodworm the size of pythons, hence the large (1cm+) worm holes! In fact, that's why the trees were felled. Olive wood has the most beautiful grain. I wish I could get more of that quality. Brian

Attachments

• IMG_20191207_102048__01.jpg
    IMG_20191207_102048__01.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20191207_171951.jpg
    IMG_20191207_171951.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 28
Adam, I did something similar with a chunk from my brother's firewood pile. He has a small house on the Greek island of Lesbos. His firewood is infested with woodworm the size of pythons, hence the large (1cm+) worm holes! In fact, that's why the trees were felled. Olive wood has the most beautiful grain. I wish I could get more of that quality. Brian
Lovely job Brian, the smell of Olive whilst turning is quite something too, especially when slightly green, delicious

Lovely job Brian, the smell of Olive whilst turning is quite something too, especially when slightly green, delicious
I sold some olive (I import Italian olive to the UK) to Chris Fisher, AKA the Blind Woodturner. The first thing he remarked on when he open the box was the smell! It does make the unit smell good!

I sold some olive (I import Italian olive to the UK) to Chris Fisher, AKA the Blind Woodturner. The first thing he remarked on when he open the box was the smell! It does make the unit smell good!
Doesn't get much more amazing than a blind wood turner !! I can't even imagine closing my eyes for one second whilst operating these machines !!!!

Back