finnial wood advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrs. sliver

Established Member
Reaction score
Just thought I'd post these two photos. everytime I make one they seem to get bigger!

But my problem now is that I used my last little bits of left over bought wood on the them and I only want to use green wood now, so any suggestions for the delicate details? I have asked before but most suggetions were exotics which I no longer use.

eco24.jpg

eco21.jpg

Older Hazel is also fine textured and will take fine detail without falling apart. Damson and Cherry are a couple of others that spring to mind.

You are certainly getting bigger & better ( your turnings I mean) If you only use green wood mind, you wuill experoence some distortion in the shapes which may mean your lids won't fit or the finials will bend. If you are clebverere than me you can incorporate this inyto the design before you turn but I haven't learnt that trick yet. DAMHIK :roll:

Pete

Holly will take fine detail very well and also takes stain very well if you want different colours.

john

Back