finishing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eddie mann

Reaction score
this is my first post since joining so hi to everybody out there. here where I live we have a local timber called blue mahoo which has a white sap wood (like yew) the heart wood goes from dark brown through to light brown through to purple green and blue. can anyone advise me on the best finish to bring these colours out.

Eddie

Hi Eddie

Welcome to the forum too :)
On finish try to use a clear or white finish ( no button polish or with a dark colour )
Oil might be a good start :)

Hello from another new member. If you want to see what an oil will do, try some mineral spirits or turps first. That will give you a good idea how an oil will look on your wood but will evaporate and your wood will return to how it was. If you want something to keep the wood looking natural, use a water based sealer. Anything else will add colour to the finish.

Eddie,

Welcome to the forum.

This timber seems to be also known as Blue Mahoe, (Hibiscus elatus) of the West Indies. Said to be a hard and slightly aromatic wood with a lustrous, richly variegated, open grain. It has been used for cabinetwork, carriages, gunstocks, fishing rods and ship’s knees.

On the basis of that description it sounds as if an oil finish would work prfectly well or for a glossy finish a grain filler could be used followed by shellac (shellac will finish well on just about any wood)

Back