Finishing questions for my oak dado rail

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wizer

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys

Last night I sanded down the oak dado rail which is going to be fitted to the top of the wainscoting in the nursery. I took it down through the grades:- 120, 180 then 240. A few queries occur to me

1. Should I keep going with the sanding using finer grades? Or is 240 enough?

2. Since sanding down, the wood is 'dusty'. How do I clean all this off? I have heard of tack cloths but where do you buy them?

3. I want to keep the natural colour of the oak but I guess the finish needs to be durable. I'm leaning towards a clear satin varnish... unless the forum can recomend a better option?

TIA

WiZeR":12in7oxr said:
Hi Guys

Last night I sanded down the oak dado rail which is going to be fitted to the top of the wainscoting in the nursery. I took it down through the grades:- 120, 180 then 240. A few queries occur to me

1. Should I keep going with the sanding using finer grades? Or is 240 enough?

2. Since sanding down, the wood is 'dusty'. How do I clean all this off? I have heard of tack cloths but where do you buy them?

3. I want to keep the natural colour of the oak but I guess the finish needs to be durable. I'm leaning towards a clear satin varnish... unless the forum can recommend a better option?

TIA

I have used oak a lot in the past and stop at 240 if you go much finer you may find that its too smooth to absorb any oil /finish.

My favourite finish on oak in Danish oil, in the form of Rustins finishing oil (it dries quicker). On top of this a clear wax applied with fine webrax or similar fine grade pad - don't use wire wool as it will get in the grain and react with the tannin. Mind you there are many other oils etc on the market, i just haven't tried them.

To clean out the sanding dust you can buy tack cloths (from woodturning supplies) or just use kitchen paper (plain white only) and white spirit - this will also show up any swirls or rough grain you missed.

But as always - practice on a spare bit that you have finished to the same standard. Oh - and get the ok from the final approver!!!

Thanks oddsocks I will give that method a go on some scrap.

To clean anything I have made that I am about to stain/wax etc, I have found the use of my small compressor that I use for my nail gun to be really good. It gets into those places that you may not reach and/or remove that dust or debris that a cloth or whatever wont budge.

I have bought the cheap nozzle attachment to go on the end of the hose with a pull leaver to adjust and stop/start the blowing. Got it from Axminster at just a couple of quid.

I quite like the finish of osmo hardwax oil on oak. Dont go too fine on the sanding, it's nice to be able to feel the grain.

Our builder used osmo hard wax oil on our oak stairs. Looks very nice and seems to seal it better than regular oils.

Back