Finishing/Protecting Engineered Veneer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodenstx

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, first post, be gentle if I get wood working terms wrong :)

Moderate ramble at first:
Before christmas I built a dining table using a spot of over engineering (4x4 legs, 3x3 rails and two layers of 18mm MDF as the top), and then obtained some Alpi Alpiform D engineered medium/dark walnut.
The place I got the veneer from said that it was prefinished with a matt surface, and yes it is. Its also appearing to be moderately water resistant but it is suffering light scratching and I also want to seal the join in the middle of the table.
The surface does seem to have a fairly open structure but feels reasonably smooth when running your hand over it.

I cant find any information about the product online at all :( on the lable stuck to the vaneer it has OLEO UV in the "finish" section.
What would be best to give the top a robust finish that requires minimal maintenance and least stress applying to an unknown finish already down?
I do have some off cuts of the veneer to test on if needed.

thanks.
Stuart

Once I pass the 3 posts I'll get some pics of my first crack at woodwork for 15 years up :), its more functional than pretty but I (and more importantly the Mrs) like it.

IMAG2484_zpsjbutbwhn.jpg

Soon after build completion... But needs something to properly protect the top

Back