Finishing procedure / advice required.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Escudo

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have nearly finished work on my oak shoe polish box and my mind is turning to the finish.

I was thinking of using Danish Oil, but have never used this before, is it an appropriate choice? and what is the procedure for application? which is the best make to buy?

I have read that wax is added or used how does this work?

Thanks in advance for any advice/help.

Cheers, Esc.

Hi Escudo,
danish oil and wax work well together, first coat of danish oil can be put on quite heavily and given a minute or two to soak in, use a rag or brush, then wipe off the excess with a rag and leave for a couple of hours to dry, a very light sand to denib and then apply the second coat as before but you don't need to flood it this time.
i generally find that two coats is adequate for most things although you could apply a third !!
leave for a few more hours until completely dry, (if its at all tacky leave well alone) then apply a light coat of buffing wax, leave for half an hour and then give it a good old buff with a soft cotton cloth and repeat !! easy eh :shock:
i can recommend liberon danish oil and buffing wax, i have also used morells danish oil, but i prefer liberon, colron do a fine finishing wax that gives off a great sheen, all of these should be available at you local B& who!!
HTH
Gary.

Top advice Gary, thanks mate.

It seems quite straight forward. I grabbed my Axminster catalogue and looked up the liberon range. I can see the danish oil, but was not quite so sure about the wax.

There seemed to be a few choices. Presumably a simple beeswax is
all that is needed?

Esc.

Hi Escudo,
personally i prefer the black bison fine paste wax, here.
The bees wax has a drying time of 4 hours until you can buff, the fine paste wax has a drying time of 20mins :shock:
either one will give a good shine but remember not to put it on too thick :wink:

Latest posts

Back