Finishing pine outdoor bench

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmac80

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all
Made a simple pine 2 seat bench from a slab of pine i milled from a tree.
What would be the stuff to use to treat it so it lasts a few years outdoors?
My father in law gave me some clear satin outdoor uv osmo but on the tin it say's do not put on flat surfaces?!?
It also states not to put on a finished surface of higher than 120 grit... I already done this bench to 180.
Thanks

qgw7ITp.jpg

The pic somehow makes the bottom brace look squint, It's not though ;)

This stuff might be worth a go. Le Tonkinois traditional varnish. I am using it on some garden chairs at present so can't speak personally for it yet, but the guy selling it looks like a straight dealer to me and has been turning up at boat shows and wood fairs for over a decade.
http://www.letonkinoisvarnish.uk/

Raw linseed half n half with turps warmed up and applied to the bench also warmed up in a warm room. Especially around the joints and end grain. It goes darker eventually and will be blackish after a few years but it works really well and is easy to slap on.
Stand the bench on bits of stone or anything to stop the feet getting wet

Thanks Jacob, Sounds a nice cheap solution. Don't suppose you have any pics of something treated this way that has gone "blackish after a few years" sounds interesting.

Back