Finishing for a keyring

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stooby

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello, I was just wondering what finish I should use on a keyring fob? Would a clear varnish be okay or is it likely to get sticky over time?

There are a number of finishes you can use but I wouldm not use varnish as it cracks over a period of time and then looks unsightly. You could use a spray on lacquer and you can get this in satin or gloss but I would use a sanding sealer on it first. The easiest finish, which would look nice is to use an oil finish such as lemon oil or teak oil. It also depends on what type of wood the fob is made from, if it has a lovely grain such as yew or elm I would go for the oil finish. You can apply as many coats as you like but leave a period of 12-24 hours between coats and after the first coat it may need a very light sanding.

I have made it from oak. I have a spray on acrylic sealant, is that any good?

I am making one of the house keyring holders with the couple cut out. I had the right ages ago but was inspired to give it a go after seeing Brendan with early on. It's got a twist as its for a same sex couple so I thought it would be novel even if they had seen something like the original. I cut it from oak as I am running short of wood the right depth. I rushed ahead and treated the house with Danish oil do not sure I have anything that will contrast enough now for the couple. I have task oil but on oak it doesn't seem that distinct. That's why I thought clear varnish, leave it in the natural colour.
Is the sanding sealer a good thing to get as I haven't used it.
And would lemon oil give a good contrast to the Danish?

If you have already used danish oil then don't use lemon oil on top of that, in fact don't use anything else, when using danish oil you will need several coats to have any effect, the more coats you give it the more shiny it will become. very lightly sand between coats.

Did that mean I don't need to seal the Danish? I will try several coats, never really done that before and plenty of time before Christmas.

Back