Finishing end grain

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pmur

Reaction score
Hi, looking for some advice please. How do you finish end grain on boards etc if you are making a table top for instance. When you buy a piece of wooden furniture and it is polished or stained the end grain is usually as smooth as the side or the top.
Is there a special proceedure for this as I have sanded until I am blue in the face but never seem to get it really smooth. Also when you stain end grain it always goes darker than the rest of the wood. Is there a way to stop this?
I am fairly new to woodworking and could really do with some help.
Thanks,
Peter

straight edge,half inch router with a large straight flute router cutter, you'll only need to take off half a mill to get rid of saw marks before finishing off by sanding smooth

pmur":21q9f377 said:
I have sanded until I am blue in the face but never seem to get it really smooth

How are you sanding?

You are comparing your efforts with that of a manufacturer who has a lot more kit than you (I assume).

If you are sanding by hand then you probably will go blue, and maybe a few other colours as well. A belt or disc sander will probably give you the finish that you are after but the surface will also improve as you build up a finish on it.

The end grain on these dice is just a smooth, if not smoother, than the sides. They were sanded on a belt sander and finished with several coats of oil.

Hope that helps

regards

Brian

End grain shouldn't cause too much of a problem, bearing in mind that the grain will 'raise' once a finish has been applied. Simply de-nib with some fine, or even better, worn 320g paper and apply another coat of polish. Use a sharp, low angle plane like a block to clean up and then apply the finish - Rob

I seem to remember reading something about sanding end grain either a couple of grades finer or coarser than the other faces and the stain would soak in to a similar degree on all faces. Trouble is I can't remember which way round :oops:

I've used sanding sealer on endgrain before to help control stain. It was a question of trying out how much to sand the sealer so the stain had some effect but not soak right through.

Bob

Back