Finished first projects

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Imperial

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just finished my 1st 4 projects for my cabinet making course and thought I'd post a few pics. These were designed for us but we could modify them a little, hence the Rosewood stringing and my choice of veneer for the box. I am making my own design of table at the moment in London Plane and will post the step by step pictures of it if anyone is interested when its finished shortly? hope the pictures come though ok!

The table is Cherry with a Maple and Cherry Drawer, Rosewood stringing on the top Drawer and Knob.

The box is Massur Birch Veneer over a Sycamore edged MDF base with a Solid Sycamore Door and a veneer panel.

Seems the best pic of the drawer is too big so I'm trying for another...

Comments welcome

I didn't make a perfect job of fitting them as you can see though as it was my 1st time I was ok with the fit. It was just a router to make the groove at 2 different depths to fit the hinge. In the door I should have fitted them in the rail rather than 1/2 and 1/2 as it almost broke the edge being 3mm. They don't seem too strong and become quite loose after opening several times, hope that helps........

Very nice,the table looks great :D

will post the step by step pictures of it if anyone is interested

Yes,of course we are.But you've set yourself a high standard to live up to :wink:

Andrew

very very nice, i really like the table with the rosewood stringing

Yep, Good stuff. That stringing does a great job of hiding the joint between the applied front and the drawer front... :-$

Just joking...

Very nice work, and yes you have set yourself a high standard.
If I see those hinges right, they are 'soss-hinges' yes? And I can't quite make out if they are brass or if the light makes them look chromed. It's me eyes you know.

Nice choice of timbers, lovely contrasts and and well worked.
John

Nice stuff....just one thing. Drawer bases are usually fitted the other way round, grain goes from side to side, not front to back. Just a thought :wink: - Rob

Thanks for the kind words and I'll post the pics of the Table when its complete, Dom you should get to see it in person! The soss are silver not really chrome, the veneer choice for the bottom drawer was based on what was available to us and would only fit to cover the edges in that direction if you know what I mean? We ran out of the birch veneer so had to put a different type in the bottom of the box, I'd rather have used oak for the door and edges of the box as it was a better colour contrast, but again I did not have any choice! The finish on the Table is a Shellac sealer followed by as many coats of wax as I can manage. The Box is 2 pack Satin.

B - the stuff you've made as first projects is great, no question. It's clearly not your fault that the veneer for the drawer bottom only fitted one way. However, it's such a fundamental mistake that I would seriously take your lecturer to task...the right materials in the correct sizes ought to have been available to you and it seems to me they were not. In my view a piece of 6mm mahogany ply sanded up (assume the college has got some of that?) fitted the right way round would look better than the current drawer base. If you are paying for this course (which I assume you are) then this is a situation which ought to be tackled in a diplomatic fashion - Rob

Rob, I'm ok with the choice of drawer bottom, I prefer it to the Mahogany ply you refer to, as it was something I'd never seen before and wanted my piece to be a little different. I am paying for the course but the budget for veneer was restrictive and we could only buy so much of the Birch. I value your comments but think my course was great value for money and The lecturers do a great job considering the age range and ability's of the students they are teaching. Please dont take any offence!

B - none taken whatsoever :lol: If you ever make a drawer with a solid base (say Cedar of Lebanon) it's common practice to have the grain running from side to side and slot screw the base into the drawer back to allow for movement of the base. If you do it the way you have done it in this drawer (front to back) with a solid base then it will either split when it contracts or push the drawer sides out when it expands. Always best in my view to follow sound constructional techniques developed centuries ago.....it's all done for a reason :lol: Keep up the good work- Rob

Back