finish for pinkish oak

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mickthetree

Established Member
Reaction score
Afternoon all

I made this simple oak box last weekend:

8398670180_3a49cd2439.jpg

8397585091_a1e088948d.jpg

I'm making another box from some more reclaimed oak this weekend, but it is a very different colour. Its a pinkish sort of colour. Not sure you can really see from this photo:

8397590033_d34457d187.jpg

The other box I finished with sanding sealer and chestnut 22 wood wax, but I'm looking for something that will make a bit more of the grain on this one. I've got some offcuts which I've tried Danish oil on and shellac, both of which look alright. Any other suggestions to get the best out of a pinkish coloured oak?

Many thanks

If you have some Tung oil, try mixing some with a little Danish oil and experiment on a piece of scrap, don't use teak oil as this may turn it yellowish, it's the initial coating which will enhance the grain, the wax will just give the finish.

You could also try a little Hardwax oil if you have some.

Andy

Cheers Andy

I've not used Tung oil yet. We sell it at work so I'll pick some up tomorrow. Boiled Linseed oil any good? Keen to try some different finishes. This box is for a bloke at work who wants to keep matches and fire lighters inside. They'll be in packages, but the odd bit of fire lighter might fall out so the finish would need to cope with that.

mickthetree":2u2sus2f said:
Cheers Andy

I've not used Tung oil yet. We sell it at work so I'll pick some up tomorrow. Boiled Linseed oil any good? Keen to try some different finishes. This box is for a bloke at work who wants to keep matches and fire lighters inside. They'll be in packages, but the odd bit of fire lighter might fall out so the finish would need to cope with that.

Then Tung oil would be the best as it's quite tough when cured, the thing about oil finishes is that they are easy to repair whereas varnishes (although tough) need to be literally removed before a nice repair can be achieved.

Tell him to put his firelighters in some sort of container (freezer bag) before putting them into your quite excellent box.

Andy

Nice looking box. I'd use Danish oil but thin it down first with white spirit so it really soaks in rather than leaving a sticky residue on the surface. Will need a few coats.

Latest posts

Back