Finish for external door/gate

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yan

Reaction score
I have just made a softwood side gate/door and would like some advice on a finish for it.
I have some workshop doors and windows finished with Sadolins which are a few years old now with a lot of coats on.
The problem I find is that when you sand and re-coat them you get a slightly blotchy finish where some of the Sadolins has come off a little in bad areas.
I would like to use somethingdifferent on these like linseed oil, but would also want them stained the right colour.
Would this be a satisfactory way of doing them and if so would I put the stain on first, and what type of stain.
Thanks for any help.

for softwood outside, I'd treat it with preservative 1st. It will last much longer , and you can top coat with whatever you want. the other thing you need to watch is sunlight - that will 'kill' softwood quickly too ! so if you want to see the wood/grain, choose something with UV protection.

Hi thanks for the reply, so could I put a coloured preservative on and then a few thin coats of linseed oil.
Do you know whether the preservative needs to be solvent or water based.

The one I use is water based. It dries clear, so you can put on what you want after.

When I say preservative, I mean a proper dry rot/worm treatment / preservative. The terribly toxic stuff !
Sorry, I should have been clearer.

not the commercial 'TV advert' type stuff !

Back