Filling in knot holes in oak

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cusimar9

Established Member
Reaction score
I know there's a few topics on this subject already but none seemed to discuss the Osmo wood fillers

I've a few dark knots to fill in and I noticed Osmo have some 'oak' wood fillers available

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Osmo-Wood-Fille ... filler+oak

Thing is though the colour match seems to be to the oak itself rather than the knot

What do people us to achieve the 'dark brown' knot colour match? Or does a clear epoxy achieve the same thing. Which epoxy? Araldite?

Thanks

Rick

I guess like everything it will be down to colour matching as best as you can. Even if that means using coloured fillers designed for other timbers such as mahogany etc

I used ground instant coffee in epoxy for my Pippy oak, just add more coffee for a darker colour.
Araldite and coffee goes off very quickly I used Wilco's in the end.

Pete

Or mix the epoxy with sawdust of chosen shade. The advantage being that you can mix different dusts beforehand to get the required shade :)

I used shellac stick melted in after finishing in pippy oak. Depends a bit on the size if what you are filling.

I find sawdust too coarse, personally. I go with Marcros's solution or sometimes melt wax sticks instead. I have a range of different colours that I bought off eBay a while back. Trouble with both approaches is that the colour is too uniform and very noticeable if the hole is large. I have been known to get out my very fine artists brushes and oil paints before now !

I might try the oil paints. I tend to pick 4 sticks around the colour that I want and fill a few pips with each one so it is not as uniform.

Ignore any colours on fillers and waxes- they are not a very good guide to what is contained within!

I quite like these sticks

007.30.061P1.JPEG

I quite like the liberon filler sticks, but always use a very dark one for knots. You can melt and mix them using a lighter and teaspoon, I've also added earth pigments occasionally.

Chris

I sometimes think it looks better to leave the knots a lone if not to big on oak. After all it is the character of the timber. I know that it is not always possible, but sometimes the filler looks worse than the knot.
I bet I get some stick for this.

Mickfb":1m4z92dk said:
I sum times think it looks better to leave the knots a lone if not to big on oak. After all it is the character of the timber. I know that it is not always possible, but sometimes the filler looks worse than the knot.
I bet I get some stick for this.

+1

I'd use a knot of similar size to plug the hole. Maybe with hot hyde glue.

Thanks guys, all good feedback. I like the idea of epoxy and coffee, that'd go down well! Some of the knots I'll leave and the 'big' hole is under a shelf so I guess it doesn't really need filling, this time.

I like the idea of using a knot to fill a knot!!

In the past Ive used brown 2 pack, then painted over it with almost black water colour.

I think knot holes filled in to match the colour of the wood look horrible

As long as you can stabilise/secure the knot so it doesn't eventually fall out due to different shrinkage rates, why knot :oops: just accept it? It's part of the natural beauty of the wood. Just like the mole on SWMBO's... ahem, yes, well enough of that.

cusimar9":1aee68q0 said:
I know there's a few topics on this subject already but none seemed to discuss the Osmo wood fillers

I've a few dark knots to fill in and I noticed Osmo have some 'oak' wood fillers available

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Osmo-Wood-Fille ... filler+oak

Thing is though the colour match seems to be to the oak itself rather than the knot

What do people us to achieve the 'dark brown' knot colour match? Or does a clear epoxy achieve the same thing. Which epoxy? Araldite?

Thanks

Rick

What is the piece and are they large enough you could use clear resin and embed something into them as a feature?

Latest posts

Back