File Zip / Unzip Software

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spindle

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

Can anyone recommend a free zip / unzip utility suitable for use with Windows Vista? I thought WinZip was free but apparently my 'trial period' has run out and I don't fancy paying £27 to reactivate it as I've only had cause to use it twice in 36 days.

Regards Mick

You actually don't need any extra software to zip or unzip files in Xp, Vista, Win7 or even Win8.

All the above windows versions can natively unzip a zip file, you would just double click it and you will have the option to 'extract files' you choose where to put the extracted files. To make a zip file, select any files you need to package, right click, send to, compressed folder, give it a name and all done. A zip file ready to send.

If you have win zip installed, just uninstall it then windows will automatically be associated to do the unzipping/zipping.

Phil

Hi

Thanks for the responses :) - I didn't realise that Vista would 'do the job'. As usual Windows was being 'economical with the truth' by defaulting to the Winzip registration screen even though I'd removed the programme, (or so I'd thought). Having now uninstalled it in control panel all is well :)

Regards Mick

Spindle":1ntu17aq said:
Hi

Thanks for the responses :) - I didn't realise that Vista would 'do the job'. As usual Windows was being 'economical with the truth' by defaulting to the Winzip registration screen even though I'd removed the programme, (or so I'd thought). Having now uninstalled it in control panel all is well :)

Regards Mick
Sometimes winblows isn't as good as it should be in removing programs.
I use this this to remove programs. It gets the stuff often left behind by winblows :)

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

carlb40":v9vatexf said:
Sometimes winblows isn't as good as it should be in removing programs.
I use this this to remove programs. It gets the stuff often left behind by winblows :)

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

Second that, A brilliant little utility, one of the few we use on a daily basis. Run the cleaner and let it remove all it wants to. On some machine we have removed in excess of 20gb of dross. It's a bit like de-mossing a lawn, it lets the machine breathe.

Phil

Back