Fiat Ducatto 2.0 diesel RED enging light

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lewies548

Reaction score
I've just had the fiat Carrioca 656 2.0 diesel van in the garage for a service & pully change. I have had this van nearly 3 years with no problems pulls like a trouper.

The bottom pully is making a noise and was to be changed. But the change didn't go ahead as wrong pully turned up, it was put back together as the van could not be stored for the night.They advise to come back tomorrow with it and put it back together.

When I started to set off out in the van and immediately as I started the engine, the engine management light was on, i stopped it and pointed this out and they advise me they have not touched anything that can effect the red engine warning lamp, and to take it home and bring it back tomorrow and they will put it on a diagnostic machine.

Driving home was fun, the van on the way home seemed really slow and sluggish. The red engine light stayed on till I turned the engine off.

Sorry to be cynical but i thing the underlined statement is really patronizing and i cannot believe is correct, and i am really concerned that they would say that.
What can be the issue and could there be any further knock on damage, I will update this post when they advise me tomorrow what they believe the fault is.

i believe i should give them chance to rectify the issue, but I believe they have made a mistake then, i need to lodge it as a complaint as well.

Mark

@ lewies548:

I don't have a Fiat but do have a diesel 407 SW Peugeot (car not a van).

I too have had a red engine management light come on while away from home and called the Pug help line from the roadside and they told me to drive on home - carefully! I did so and whilst it was very embarassing (managed to get the thing up to about 45 mph - eventually - on the Autobahn !!!!!) and took it in the next day. The problem in my case was a breather/vent pipe had come adrift which upset the fuel/air balance to the Fuel injection computer. The management computer sensed this and made sure the engine stayed in "safety mode" throughout the trip home. No damage and easily fixed. BUT I did learn that the red light can come on for all sorts of problems including fuel injection; fuel-air mix; turbo overheat; etc, etc.

So difficult to say what you problem is/was. BUT from the comments my garage made it seems that your garage is being being a bit "cavalier" with you because, as above, the red light can come on for all sorts of reasons, some serious, some not. In other words, their "nothing to do with us chief" approach is more than suspect - they were into the engine compartment and in most modern vehicles access is such that it is very easy for a mechanic to accidentally dislodge a dodgy air hose (or whatever) without knowing it.

I do agree with the previous poster though and would suggest you Google for a forum that deals in this particular make/model, or at least with Fiat diesels generally - there must be one out there.

Good luck

AES

Thanks to all the replies however positive they are, in answer to the odd question in replies.
I searched for red engine light on the internet and found one with plenty of replies was on the ukworkshop here:- and was under forums fiat-doblo-engine-trouble-t54312.html.

They were as positive as your answers were so I chose to use the forum due to the positive replies and registered then posted a new topic.
In my defence it was quite early when i posted it, and maybe made a selection problem when posting the forum-sorry if it was incorrectly posted.

FYI-It looks like the original pully that was reseated was missing a link and had an effect on crank RPM (missing), causing the error.

New pully reset and seams to be working- though it is going back in for a strange whistling noise. Thanks to all for your replies.

Thanks to all...
Over n out... Mk

lewies548":1p66uoom said:
though it is going back in for a strange whistling noise.

I had this years ago on an old Toyota - at first intermittently, especially when the lights were on. When it did it near the dealer I took it in and they thought it was an air leak but couldn't find it so put it on the ramp and found it was the water pump bearing. They replaced the pump under warranty.

Misterfish

Thanks, 4that.

New technology is not as good as we expect, it seems to confuse the mechanics.

Thanks again

Back