Festool

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DangerousDave

Established Member
Reaction score
Got one of these today (the Festool, not the cable reel)
3427171412_a1a37bbb2e.jpg

It really is the dogs nads. Very impressed so far; clean accurate cuts, fast and easy to set up, very smooth plunge action. Miles better than my previous system of running a hand-held against a (not too straight) straight-edge made out of a strip of MDF :D With using my old system I always had to add (or subtract) the distance from the blade to the side of the saw, remembering to factor in the kerf of the blade. Needless to say, the Festool has substantially speeded things up as well as improving accuracy. Was going to get the DeWalt, but the bloke in the shop persuaded me that the extra £50 for the Festool was well worth it. :D

You got two 1400's there ?

Wont be long before you buy one long rail, I have tw0 1400's but ended up buying a 2700 for ripping 8 x 4 sheets rather than having to set up two 1400's everytime.

They are very good saws had mine a while now I dont use it all the time but when I do it still amazes me how good it is. :D

Now thats one lovely little cable reel you have there...

I mean plunge saw :wink:

as it happens I do tend to use my Circ saw quite a bit, and have been looking into buying the fes...

But is it really worth the money (please say yes, please say yes, please say yes)

regards

Creampuff":35fed3v9 said:
Now thats one lovely little cable reel you have there...

I mean plunge saw :wink:

as it happens I do tend to use my Circ saw quite a bit, and have been looking into buying the fes...

But is it really worth the money (please say yes, please say yes, please say yes)

regards

YES :D :D :D

For me anyway

So far, Yes it is worth it. If like me this is the way you break down sheets, it doesn't take long to realise its worth the cash. Chippy, yep its two 1400's although already I can see I am going to get annoyed taking it apart to do crosscuts. I got 2 of the connecting bars and its spot on, no discrepency at the join :D
Plus its an awful lot safer compared to the way I used to do it.
Also, those systainers are well handy for standing on to get things down from the top shelf :lol:

I don't get it. For the money if I added it to the £1000 I paid for my table say I could have got a decent panel saw with a scoring blade which would do a better job mainly because it's quicker to set up. Because it's corded it's not the best tool on site so I'm not seeing the advantage. I'm sure it's very good quality but scratting around on the floor to use it on sheet material surely is a step backwards. I'm tempted to buy a cordless Dewalt so I can cut up sheet material accurately and relatively cleanly at the suppliers but I'd still do the final dimentions on the table saw. For that reason I can't justify the expense of the cordless either.

I've been very happy with my Festool too. The question of whether it is worth the cost though is very subjective, as it is with any tool. I bought the Festool to replace my home-made cutting guides and a standard Hitachi circular saw with a decent blade fitted. The quality of cut from both my old setup and the Festool is very close, although the Festool is less prone to tearout on the offcut side (due to it's top-mounted splinter guard). On the basis of the final result from a cut though, I'd have to say that my old setup was far better value.

However, the process of getting to that final result I find to be easier and safer with the Festool. The Festool cutting rail is far lighter than my home-made guides, and therefore easier and faster to move about, and not having to clamp it to the material to be cut saves me a lot of time too. The fact that the Festool rail prevents the saw from veering away from the cut makes also makes things easier (my home-made guides just prevent the saw from veering into the cut). As for the saw itself, I find the recessed blade on the Festool safer than the (arguably) more exposed blade on my Hitachi, and I think the more enclosed blade helps contribute to the better dust extraction on the Festool.

So overall, I find the Festool to be a faster, slightly safer, and cleaner alternative to my old setup. This in itself has proven its worth to me, so for me the cost has been worth it. Of course, how the Festool compares to other comparable commercial options is a whole other discussion but having never tried any others I have no idea whether cheaper commercial solutions are equally as good as, if not better than, the Festool.

You've got a 2.7? I'm green with envy. I have a 2.4 and it's just too short to rip a standard sheet properly. They've obviously sorted that little faux pas out. Good.

Whether it's worth the money or not depends on what other options you have. If you have space for a panel saw that also acts as a table saw, then possibly not. But if, like me, you are short of space, then using a portable saw and fence is an excellent solution, and worth every penny. And yes, I did buy mine at zero discount.

If you want a really excellent way of ripping to a known width, accurately and repeatably, well, I couldn't possible tell you how to do it. Not here, anyway.

Cheers
Steve

p111dom":4i9bsqzx said:
I don't get it. For the money if I added it to the £1000 I paid for my table say I could have got a decent panel saw with a scoring blade which would do a better job mainly because it's quicker to set up. Because it's corded it's not the best tool on site so I'm not seeing the advantage. I'm sure it's very good quality but scratting around on the floor to use it on sheet material surely is a step backwards. I'm tempted to buy a cordless Dewalt so I can cut up sheet material accurately and relatively cleanly at the suppliers but I'd still do the final dimentions on the table saw. For that reason I can't justify the expense of the cordless either.

It's horses for courses. I'm not going to give up my panel saw for a TS55 but I wouldn't swap my TS55 for a panel saw either. It's like comparing a lorry and a Ferrari, you want both at times but you can't fit a wardrobe in a Fezza and they won't let you do a track day in a lorry. By the way I've got a cordless circular saw and I find I rarely use it but that doesn't mean they are a waste of money.

Say Dave do you like that Irish Oak?

I'm an Escudo man you know. When it was discontinued I switched to Dunhill Navy Rolls and now that is finished I have been smoking Louisiana flake. (Perique, virginia navy flake). It is very good, if you can't get it send me a pm with your address and I will send you an ounce.

Nice saw by the way. I do approve.

Cheers, Tony.

Steve Maskery":2rdupxnc said:
You've got a 2.7? I'm green with envy. I have a 2.4 and it's just too short to rip a standard sheet properly. They've obviously sorted that little faux pas out. Good.

Whether it's worth the money or not depends on what other options you have. If you have space for a panel saw that also acts as a table saw, then possibly not. But if, like me, you are short of space, then using a portable saw and fence is an excellent solution, and worth every penny. And yes, I did buy mine at zero discount.

If you want a really excellent way of ripping to a known width, accurately and repeatably, well, I couldn't possible tell you how to do it. Not here, anyway.

Cheers

Steve

I'm sure you know this Steve but perhaps for the benefit of others, sometimes it is cheaper to buy a long guide and cut it down. eg you can get a 2.7 and a 3.3 from a 6 guide which gives you a good combination for 8' and 10' cuts.

Has any tried the parallel guide for the guide rails? It looks like it could be very useful if you use the saw and rail to cut up sheet materials and want to be able to repeat the same width cut several times.

I came across this on the blog at tools for working wood

http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/...store&nextpage=/extra/blogpage.html&BlogID=83

Only thing is that I haven't seen a UK price yet - but I imagine it might be a shock :shock:

p111dom":75b009l8 said:

I don't think a panel saw would do a better job. As for set up how long does it take to take a saw out of a systainer and plug it in, maybe 10 to 20 seconds WOW thats a long set up :D :lol: .

Personally I dont use my TS55 on the floor (as you say) either I have these wonderful inventions called saw horses that allow you to cut up sheet material off the floor. :lol:

Sorry Dom if I have been too sarcastic I just hate it when people moan about Festool I just think try it and if it doesnt suit your type of work sell it, you would probably get most of your money back on Ebay another advantage of Festool tools "resale value".

Wildcard":3go4y66i said:
Has any tried the parallel guide for the guide rails? It looks like it could be very useful if you use the saw and rail to cut up sheet materials and want to be able to repeat the same width cut several times.

I came across this on the blog at tools for working wood

http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/...store&nextpage=/extra/blogpage.html&BlogID=83

Only thing is that I haven't seen a UK price yet - but I imagine it might be a shock :shock:

http://www.toolfest.co.uk/festool-guide-systems UK price for you, I like the look of them but they are a lot of money for what they are and I have seen some good homemade versions on the net.

Dom, I understand what you're saying and if I had room I would love to have a panel saw c/w squaring table/scoring blade etc... but I don't. So the only option is to break down sheets with a hand held. The festool enables me to now do that safely, quickly and accurately. I have the sheets up on the bench, I simply put 4 lengths of 2x4 under the top sheet to support it and saw away.

Steve, it's 2.8 (two 1400's joined with connecting bars). Definitely gonna have to get at least another 1400 for cross-cuts.

Tony, yes Irish Oak is a fabulous tobacco; it's all I'm smoking at the minute. As a converted cig smoker I was recommended it as its mostly Virginia, very smooth and cool though completely unlike the cigs. I tried some of that Connoisseurs Choice, but found it a bit pungent. The vanilla aroma is quite overpowering although I could get used to it :D

My thinking when buying the Festool was that this is my way of dimensioning sheets. If I was buying a panel saw to do the job I would be spending at least a couple of grand. Under £500 for the Festool seems reasonable when put in this context 8)

I understand the advantage of the system but only if its not plugged in. Portable, accurate and gives a good cut yes, but in the car park at the sheet material place none of thats any good if I can't plug it in. Its the same on site. Surely the ultimate would be this system in cordless form which as far as I know Festool don't do, but Dewalt do.

As for the set up 30 :shock: surely thats got to be wrong. There's no way you can measure and mark the line, unpack the saw, assemble the rail, clamp it in place, unreal the cable, plug it is and thats before you get the extractor out in 20-30 seconds. Then there's saw horses to position if you don't want to do it on the floor. With a panel saw it's move the fence to the desired measurement, open the blast gate, turn it on and cut. I can't believe anyone would even attempt to say a plunge saw and rail system could do a better job. :? I know there are some Festool die hards on the forum but please lets keep it real. Next you'll be telling be it drives you to site and makes the tea. :wink:

I appreciate that workshop space is an issue though. I couldn't fit a panel saw in either but to be honest I've cut 8x4 sheets up on a Kity 419 before with no problems into quarters so unless you regularly need 4 foot square sheets, I can't see the requirement.

Dom, don't get me wrong; I'm not saying a TS55 is better than a panel saw. I'm just saying its better for me because I don't have the room for a panel saw. You're right that its a bit more work setting the rail etc.. but I find it ok. The advantage is that the (heavy) sheet stays still while I move the (light) tool around it to make the cuts. Now that I have the Festool, I don't have to mark the line. Simply set the guide rail the required distance from the edge at both ends, check it in the middle and off I go. This was the problem with my previous system; I had to add the necessary offset and kerf to my measurement, mark the board, set the MDF guide to the marks, check it in the middle, clamp it and bang a few brads in to stop the centre bowing out as I kept the saw tight against it. The Festool is worth it to me because I don't have to do all this anymore. I can see why a cordless would be handy on site etc.. but I get my sheet goods delivered to the workshop, the driver even helps me in with them onto the bench. All I have to do is stick a couple of 2x4's under the top sheet and work away. I don't have any affiliation with Festool or anything, I made the original post because this is the first Festool I've invested in, and perhaps my opinions would help others considering buying a plunge saw. I looked at the DeWalt as well and it looked just as good with the advantage (like you say) of being available cordless. Perhaps we should agree to differ on this one :D

Just out of curiosity, why the Festool over the Mafell M55 CC which got a better review in the mags. It it much more expensive? The Mafell certainly doesn't look as ergonomic but I guess its performance that counts.

p111dom":lexoy32j said:
I understand the advantage of the system but only if its not plugged in. Portable, accurate and gives a good cut yes, but in the car park at the sheet material place none of thats any good if I can't plug it in. Its the same on site. Surely the ultimate would be this system in cordless form which as far as I know Festool don't do, but Dewalt do.

As for the set up 30 :shock: surely thats got to be wrong. There's no way you can measure and mark the line, unpack the saw, assemble the rail, clamp it in place, unreal the cable, plug it is and thats before you get the extractor out in 20-30 seconds. Then there's saw horses to position if you don't want to do it on the floor. With a panel saw it's move the fence to the desired measurement, open the blast gate, turn it on and cut. I can't believe anyone would even attempt to say a plunge saw and rail system could do a better job. :? I know there are some Festool die hards on the forum but please lets keep it real. Next you'll be telling be it drives you to site and makes the tea. :wink:

I appreciate that workshop space is an issue though. I couldn't fit a panel saw in either but to be honest I've cut 8x4 sheets up on a Kity 419 before with no problems into quarters so unless you regularly need 4 foot square sheets, I can't see the requirement.

Dom,

As for cutting in the car park it would not be allowed.

Have you used a Festool ?

I have a 3m x 1.5m CNC router, a 3.2m panel saw but when it comes to cutting jumbo sheets on my own the only tool is the festool. The quality of cut will match anything I have, and if you have limited space or work on site there is no equal.....Those battery saws are just a toy, I have one buried in the workshop somewhere.

p111dom":tvoyt5do said:

So you are calling me a liar now.

Please please please get a Festool setup then you can be qualified to say how long it takes to set up OK.

All I have to do is put two marks on a sheet lay a rail on these two marks (no need to clamp) get the saw out of the case plug it in set the depth and saw this all takes seconds (if I need it to).

Oh and I never said a ts55 was better than a panel saw either but could you carry a panel saw to someones house NO.

Its a case of horses for courses do you not agree Dom ?

Latest posts

Back