Festool TS55 - and the base plate.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

planetWayne

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Silly question this, but can you use the TS55 without using the guide rails?

Looking at the pictures the base plate seems to be plastic (albeit tough I bet) rather than metal that you see on the 'B&Q Specials' :) I was wondering how you would cope with using the saw without the guides when 'freehanding' with respect to getting grooves in the plate off stray screws or nail heads etc. Typicly a metal base plate wouldnt have an issue with riding over a screw head - bit of a light scratch but thats about it, plastic I could see you sticking a nice new groove in there.

I'm not looking at cutting through screws or nails or anything like that but just dont fancy accidentaly adding grooves - if you get my meaning :)

Thanks
Wayne.

The TS55 is difficult to control accurately without guide rails - they have another saw which is better for this - I think it is the AT65. The rep showed me it yesterday

Hi the base on the TS55 is cast metal and not plastic. It works ok without the guide rail. I have had to use it a few times without the rail to get the depth of cut required as the rail takes up about 5mm off the max depth of cut.

jon

I used mine off the rail numerous times, it works just like any other ciruclar saw, in fact it's the best CS i've ever used (compared to an hitachi, DeWalt, axminster etc.)

Same here, yes you can use it off the rail but I wouldnt bother I just use it on the rail.

As the others said its not plastic its cast ali with a grey shiney coating that may well look like plastic if you saw it in a picture.

I use my Makita circular saw for everyday cutting and the Ts55 for when I need really good accuracy and finish.

Thanks all for the replies.
I must admit - I've only seen the pictures of this rather than one in the flesh so to speak, it just looked like a plastic foot. I must admit that I'm comparing it to the tool box that Festool seems to supply with their tools which all seem to match up (they /are/ ABS aren't they!?)

The more I read about these - the more attractive they are becoming :)

one other quick thing... there seems to be variations of the same thing but with different set of the alphabet after it :!: From what I can tell, theres the old 240, 110v variants and also the 'electronic' versus the 'normal', what benefit is there for having the electronic version?

Thanks all again.
Wayne.

You might want to join the http://www.festoolownersgroup.com/ you will get lots of info there, I joined it before I bought all my gear.

The individual parts of the Festool product codes have a specific meaning.
In the UK for example the TS55 EBQ Plus FS GB saw breaks down as follows;
TS = Plunge Saw
55 = Depth of cut (in mm)
E = Electronics (variable speed plus soft start)
B = Brake
Q = Plug it removable mains cable system
Plus = Comes in a Systainer case
FS = Comes with a Guide Rail
GB = GB spec with UK 3 pin plug

RO - Rotary and Orbital motion (Rotex)
150 - 150mm diameter sanding disc
F = Think this is the Fast fix removable sanding pad system
EQ = Electronics (variable speed plus soft start) and Plug it mains cable
Plus = Comes in a Systainer case

The above was taken from the following post
http://festoolownersgroup.com/index.php ... 9#msg14509