Festool domino buying advice needed! Big one or small one?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeliGav

Established Member
Reaction score
Ive been looking at the festool domino. Ive searched the internet and heard different views. Some folk have said if you can afford the XL model get that and others have said it depends on what your doing? Wasn't sure what was the smallest domino you can use on the XL? Now i will be using it to make coffee tables, bed side tables, chairs and maybe the odd bed and door. But my main line is small furniture. Would be grateful with anyone who has experience of both models to offer any advice.

If you're doing tables and doors I think you should really get the xl model as I think otherwise you'll be on the limitations of the smaller model as soon as you start (I have the smaller model).
You could of course buy both :D

you can get the adaptor so that the large one will take the small cutters. The larger one is, of course, larger and heavier- some users have said that they find it a little ungainly on small items. I guess that it depends on how much you use it- if you buy the big one and find that you are using it enough on small stuff to justify buying both in 12 months time, then there is your answer!

I've had the small one for many years and never needed the larger one. I've made beds, large tables, and everything else you can imagine with the small domino. The largest 10mm dominos are pretty big and you can mortise 25mm deep on each component with them.

You can always double up tenons too if you need more tenon thickness.

I haven't taken the domino plunge yet but I have posed the same question regarding which one, and I'd probably buy the big one and this bit of kit http://www.senecawoodworking.com/produc ... o-xl-df700 which means you can use the full range of domino's and cutters.
I can't speak from experience but in my eyes that should cover most instances of what I'd use a domino for.

My first venture into Festool kit was a DF500 domino, I was so impressed with it I wanted the DF700XL too, fortunately my Mother gave me the go ahead to get one on Christmas Day. I ordered it plus both boxes of Dominos (8-10mm and 12-14mm with their respective bits). Soon after I had the option to buy the Seneca DF500 Adapter for the DF700XL and the Domishims. It was only a couple of days after their arrival I decided I could do everything I wanted to with the DF700XL along with the Seneca stuff.

I sold my DF500 with a 5mm, 8mm and 10mm cutters (I kept the 4mm, 5mm and 6mm) I didn't need the 8mm or 10mm as I had the larger XL 8mm and 10mm cutters and they do all that the smaller ones do and more.

Personally, I (and many others) prefer the ergonomics of the DF700XL and the additional weight is easily offset by the better handling capabilities. I have never regretted my decision and I use a lot of the smaller 4mm and 5mm Dominos in sheet goods without a worry. I wish I had known earlier how good the DF700XL was going to be as I would have bought that in the beginning and saved myself a couple of hundred quid.

Each to their own, and you will get many people who are happy with their DF500, I was until I got the bigger version, but it is a decision you will need to make, and I would base it on what you intend to build, not just at the moment, but possibly what you might build in the future too.

Be warned though, once you go green, you don't go back, it is like an addiction.

Exactly the same as Ed..
Bought the 500, wanted the 700 so got it with seneca adapters and have now sold my 500.
The 700 is fat comfier for me to use with the top handle and the on/off switch rather than a push on switch of the 500.
And yes once you start buying Festool it is an addiction.
I started with a ctl26 about 10 months ago, I now have....

ctl26 vac
midi vac
Both have long life bags
tradesman vac kit
Boom arm vac kit
kapex with ug cart and wings
ets ec 150/3 sander
domino xl700 with seneca bits and 12mm shim
3 systainers of dominos (500 set and both 700 sets)
Heaps of extra systainers and sortainer for storage/tools, sys roller and sys carts
MFT/3 table
Heap of quick clamps etc etc
TS55r saw and 4 guide rails.
i think that's it...... routers next probably :lol:
:oops: :oops: :oops:

I've got both and use both on a regular basis in a commercial workshop making furniture both large and small.

If I could only have one then I'd have the 500. If at all possible I'll always use a Domino with the sole plate flat down on a flat reference surface, in this orientation the ergonomics of the 700 wins. But there are times when that's just not possible, often in chair making for example the Domino is waggling around in space, and in those circumstances the 500 is much more manageable. So unless I was only making big beefy external doors I'd have to say the 500 is more versatile for my applications. Your applications of course may be different.

But the original Domino 500 is getting a little long in the tooth, so it's also possible an upgrade is on the way incorporating some of the features of the 700? Just a thought.

Another thing to consider, do you need a Domino at all? I realise they're all the rage, but are they right for you? It's worth remembering that with a Domino the squareness of the components completely determines the squareness of the final frame or the carcass. So unless you have the skill or equipment to consistently produce really square, straight and true components then a Domino may just embarrass you.

The other negative about a Domino is the "tyranny" of the available Domino tenon sizes, if you design your furniture to fit the standard Domino dimensions all well and good, but if not there are many times in furniture making where you're faced with making a not-quite-optimum Domino joint (for example where a haunch would be just the ticket, or the dimensions work against you) or making an optimum joint by other means. After all, a Domino doesn't make better joints, it just makes good joints quickly but only in flawless components.

I'd recommend that anyone thinking about getting a Domino considers what their real objectives are,

-You're a professional or advanced hobbyist with an excellent quality planer/thicknesser and dimension saw, both of which you're thoroughly experienced in using and maintaining. You want something that'll speed up making bread and butter joints so you can focus on the more interesting stuff. Yes, a Domino's for you.

-You're a well healed hobbyist who enjoys using the latest kit. Nothing wrong with that, it's your money so you spend it as you like. Yes, a Domino's for you too.

-You're a beginning hobbyist with mediocre quality basic workshop equipment that you haven't fully mastered. Your Mortice & Tenon joints are a bit sloppy and you hope a Domino will improve matters. No it won't, until you sort out your hand tool skills or your basic workshop equipment a Domino won't improve your jointing, it'll just add to your frustrations.

Good luck!

I only have the 700 model, and in my view this machine is more than just a glorified doweler/morticer, I have found uses for
it in other aplications, for instance:
As a side line, I make Oak Suffolk Latches, I use the machine to cut the hole for the thumb latch lever to pass through the handle.

If I get to fit them, I use it to cut the elongated hole in the door as well.

I have used it to cut long slots in various materials, wood and perspex/plastic etc for jigs.

Quite often, I have to think outside the box, and the Domino has proven to be invaluble in providing a quick solution in solving a huge range of technical difficulties.

As Custard points out though, It is not the answer to everything, but in my experience, it has paid for its self time and time again.

I bought the 500 yesterday so not had the chance to use in anger yet but in my research prior to buying i realised the sort of projects i have in mind (some wall cabinets, book shelf and a smallish dinning table) are all possible with the 500.

In all honesty i would have liked the 700 after looking it over in Axminster yesterday as it did feel more ergonomic and i like the additional options it gives you for that once in a blue moon project. As others have said with the adapter set it can do everything the 500 can albeit with a tad more hassle on smaller awkward pieces.

It depends on what you want to spend really - as a hobby user who does not make any money from what i make (or attempt to make (hammer) ) the 500 was really an indulgence so the 700 is just a step to far for me.

Latest posts

Back