Festool CTL Midi Mobile Dust Extractor 15 Litre 1200w

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benchwayze

Established Member
Reaction score
Finally realised I have to get something to keep the dust down in the shop.

I am thinking of one of these:

http://www.tooled-up.com/PopupProduct.aspx?PID=146806

Or maybe the Bosch equivalent.

I will use it mainly for what it is designed to do; To couple to hand-held power tools, of which I have a few.

What I would also like to know is:

Being totally ignorant of what Dust Category L includes, can these machines be used like a normal vacuum cleaner, for clearing debris from the deck; such as plane shavings, bandsaw dust, and planer chips? Or would this overload the thing?

Any advice gladly welcomed.
Thanks in anticipation. :D

Shavings, probably not, as the hose is quite small. It would get blocked very easily, I think. Sawdust and chippings, yes, but not necessarily in the quantities you would like. You'd have to see just how much it could shift.
S

I find that fine shavings are OK but anything thicker than a couple of thou will block the pipe.

It works fine for sawdust etc but you have to remember that all the stuff is going into a disposable bag which, when it's full, must be replaced, at Festool prices.

I always use it with my power tools and it works very well, keeping the dust down to an absolute minimum. With my small sander, the suck is powerful enough to stick it to the wall!!

Peter T":ndynr2cu said:
It works fine for sawdust etc but you have to remember that all the stuff is going into a disposable bag which, when it's full, must be replaced, at Festool prices.

I can usually get 2 or 3 uses out of a bag simply by cutting it open carefully, emptying it and gaffer-taping it back up again. That's a tip from Dan Tovey/Brad Naylor, late of this parish. I don't think he's bought a new bag in years!

When I get my next workshop, I'm going down the cyclone / drop-box route, which should improve matters considerably.
S

I've had a midi for 5 years now ,the only time its hose has blocked is when using it with my ehl65 planer and that's only when planing a big chunk off something. They now use the hepa bags like the ones for Henry's. The new bags are stronger and easier to empty out and reuse. I've never had to cut them I just shake the bag and carefully empty in to a bin bag.

The midi's are nice vacs not too loud and the anti static hose is good its long ,light and very flexible. You hardly know you have a hose attached to the tool sometimes.

Chippy, do you mean that they use the same bags as Henry or just the same type? I bet Henry bags are a lot easier to find as well as more affordable.
S

I have heard it said that a particular Numatic HEPA bag does fit the small Festool extractors, not sure just which one it is though. Browsing through FOG should bring up an answer.

I too empty the bags and reuse, the fabric bags that they use now are really sturdy. Also echo what was said above, only the EHL65 has clogged mine up and I was taking off way more than I really should've been. It is easy to clog when using it for cleaning up though, you've just got to be sensible about what you are using it for. If you use it on the tool and then vac up what gets missed you'll be fine, if you make a big pile of shavings then set about it with a small hose like the Festool has you are going to encounter problems.

My Midi was one of the first Festools I bought and it's been used hard,without any problems at all for years. As others mentioned above, the only times I've had blockages with the standard (D27) hose are with planer shavings and rubble after taking a lath & plaster wall down. You can use a bigger hose (D36) but it sticks straight up out of the vac body - no angled adapter for it, sadly.

Must admit I've never tried re-using the new self-cleaning bags - they're usually full of pretty nasty stuff that I'd rather not get too close to, for a sake of saving a few quid; if it was just full of sawdust and shavings then I'd happily give it a shot.

The Midi's a nice vac - compact, quiet, good length of hose and power cable supplied, and robust; I've had mine tumble downs flight of stairs without any ill-effects, and I've literally run it all day hooked up to a floor sander - filled five bags - and aside from getting a bit warm it ran without any issues.

Worth mentioning too that all the current Festool vacs now have the same motor, so the same amount of 'suckage' - just the body shapes and capacities change between models.

So yes, recommended :)

Right Gents.

A pretty comprehensive 'set' of replies. I am obliged to you all for taking the time.

I never needed extraction, until I started using more machines. I used an old household vacuum for my routers and circular saws. I I just don't have the space to set up a proper extraction system, hence the idea of a Midi, which I felt had more power than a domestic vacuum. I shall have to rig up something for the planer though, as that's the biggest dust maker I have. But maybe next year!

Thanks again chaps. Looks like I'll be bending the plastic at Tooled-up. :D

Merry Chrimbley :ho2

Hi, John

I have one of the cheap workshop wet/dry vacs from aldi/lidl its fantastic for the price (£60) it has a big paper filter and a very long hose.
Its remarkably quiet, and nothing on it had broken in the 3 years I have had it, I recently filled it up completely with shavings from hand planing.

Pete

I've been in the market for a new shop vac for some time but not wanting to pay stupid Festool size prices and being put off with a bad experience of a Lidl vac I originally considered one of the Fox brand vacs. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190606513946? ... 1423.l2649
I want a power tool take off as well and eventually concluded that the Sealey fitted the bill at around cheapest £95 - £100. http://www.onlinepowertools.co.uk/prod/ ... auto-start
However....I discovered that Clas Ohlson sell the identical model for £60 and it's been so popular that it's out of stock on line and only a couple of shops have 1 in stock. http://www.clasohlson.com/uk/Cotech-Wet ... r183157000

As well as using in the workshop, I chuck the thing in my van for site work and am now a bit embarrased at my ancient (but still working) Vax machine held together with gaffa tape and string :oops:

Not due in until late Jan but I've placed an order with the Newcastle shop and will wait.

Bob

Worth a consider Bob, but isn't it supposed to be green, black and grey? :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

As it happens, the nearest shop is about £15/20.00 in petrol from me. Plus I swore never to patronise Merry Hill when I saw what happened to Dudley! :twisted:

Benchwayze":17i3h5pq said:
Worth a consider Bob, but isn't it supposed to be green, black and grey? :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

As it happens, the nearest shop is about £15/20.00 in petrol from me. Plus I swore never to patronise Merry Hill when I saw what happened to Dudley! :twisted:

Cans of spray paint are really cheap these days :wink:

I was going to buy the Clas Ohlson one online 'tlll I saw there were out of stock, I then checked every store and only 4 of them had 1 vac in stock. I rang customer services who chased their purchase office to get the del date and they promised to ring me when in stock but as I can wait and it looks such good value I ordered in person. (Mainly 'cos her indoors dragged me, kicking and screaming, out shopping).

Anyway - you makes your choice and pays your money!

Bob

Cheers Bob.

I mentioned the Extractor to SWIMBO. She said something about priorities, and gave me orders to get a new shed for the back yard. 'The old one's a disgrace!' She's right. So something has to give.

I think I will get the Festool first! Well she bought up the priorities question. :mrgreen:

Just buy it then tell her you've no recollection of the shed conversation. Put it down to age and the onset of dementia :wink:

On second thoughts though, she might put you in a home :shock:

Bob

Back