Festool Adjustments

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrewm

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been cutting some sheet MFC with the Festool saw and a new Trend blade and have been getting some breakout. Investigation shows there is a small gap between the teeth on the blade and the edge of the track and I am assuming that this is due to the Trend blade having narrower teeth in relation to the blade than the Festool.

Are there any adjustments in the Festool TS55 that would get the two to line up? It is the sort of detail I would expect from Festool and presuambly if there is not it means that it is not possible to change blades without changing the track as well.

Andrew

andrewm":1uaf6p8p said:
I have been cutting some sheet MFC with the Festool saw and a new Trend blade and have been getting some breakout. Investigation shows there is a small gap between the teeth on the blade and the edge of the track and I am assuming that this is due to the Trend blade having narrower teeth in relation to the blade than the Festool.

Are there any adjustments in the Festool TS55 that would get the two to line up? It is the sort of detail I would expect from Festool and presuambly if there is not it means that it is not possible to change blades without changing the track as well.

Andrew

I think the edge of the track has some rubber\plastic strip - you need to replace that with a new one and run the saw down again. Blades and strips are matched effectively.

HIH

Dibs

That's what it looks like but that is almost saying that you will need a new strip every time you switch from say, ripping oak to cutting mfc. And a new one again when switching back again.

Actually, thinking about it no need for a new strip when switching from the narrower blade to the wider but you will if switching back again.

Andrew

andrewm":2kzma1o3 said:
That's what it looks like but that is almost saying that you will need a new strip every time you switch from say, ripping oak to cutting mfc. And a new one again when switching back again.

Actually, thinking about it no need for a new strip when switching from the narrower blade to the wider but you will if switching back again.

Andrew

The Festool blades - I would expect to be all the same width, so no need to have a strip per blade. In your case you've fitted a narrower blade - so the issue would arise.

Dibs

I don't think the thinner blade is necessarily the cause.

The side of the blade snugs up to the arbour. The only thing that matters is how much the teeth project sideways (giving the kerf width), from the blade itself toward the motor. If the Trend blade has less projection then there will be a gap, but if the tooth projection is the same, it wouldn't matter how thick or thin the blades were, as it would still match the guide rail rubber.

That said, the clearance is critical, more so if you're tilting the blade. It rather sounds like you have to stick to one manufacturer, and that their blades all need to be the same tooth projection.

all festool blades are now 2.2mm there is some old 2.4mm blades still about

you are sposed to be able to move the rubber strip over and re cut the edge afew times with the new clear strips ive never tried it tho

you do need to use all 2.2mm blades tho or have a rail for each blade

Andrew how can you insult your TS55 by fitting a Trend blade to it :shock: :eek: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyway have a look at this PDF file its a manual that was written by a guy in the USA years ago its very helpful. You need to read the bit about Matching the TS 55 to an Existing Guide Rail. http://www.waterfront-woods.com/festool/TS_55_EQ_US.pdf hope this helps.

Ps get a proper Festool blade they are worth the extra money :wink:

chippy1970":2f55n1hj said:
Andrew how can you insult your TS55 by fitting a Trend blade to it :shock: :eek: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyway have a look at this PDF file its a manual that was written by a guy in the USA years ago its very helpful. You need to read the bit about Matching the TS 55 to an Existing Guide Rail. http://www.waterfront-woods.com/festool/TS_55_EQ_US.pdf hope this helps.

Thanks. That looks like the adjustment that I need to get me going. An interesting manual. There are several other little adjustments that I might check as well although all seems to be cutting pretty square.

I do have a Festool blade but it needs sharpening and I have not got around to finding a local saw doctor yet. Can anyone recommend one in the Cambridge or Biggleswade (Beds) area?

Andrew

Bedford Saw and Tool, very knowledgeable, family firm, loads of good advice.

andrewm":3ik8ctzm said:
chippy1970":3ik8ctzm said:

Thanks. That looks like the adjustment that I need to get me going. An interesting manual. There are several other little adjustments that I might check as well although all seems to be cutting pretty square.

I do have a Festool blade but it needs sharpening and I have not got around to finding a local saw doctor yet. Can anyone recommend one in the Cambridge or Biggleswade (Beds) area?

Andrew

Me too :oops: Ive got a spare and a new one and both are a bit on the blunt side need to drop them off soon as I have a melamine shelving job so need a sharp blade

The Festool rep rang me today just as I was packing up, chatted for ages he was going to come around and visit me but he didnt realize I was out on site and I was miles away so maybe another time.

Back