fence timber paint

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tsb

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm wanting to build a side gate in Redwood next week and was hoping to paint it in the same paint that I've painted the fence panels in,but it says on the can, only suitable for rough sawn timber. Can anyone explain why it wouldn't be suitable for smooth planed timber?

It might be the fact sawn timber usage will have more movement and get less protection. Where as planed timber is normally used for finer tolerances. Do you have a link to the product? Is it paint or a shed/fence type treatment, which normally doesn't offer much in the way of waterproofness.

Ruff sawn timber allows the treatment to soak in, smooth timber will not. Have used it on smooth timber but it takes lots of coats.

The timber, when planed, is case hardened by the cutter action and will not "suck" in the applied finish, very easily.
If you give the gate timber a good sanding, you'll find a similar finish as in the sawn fencing timber.
Don't spray the first coat, Always apply paint by brush, it's better "scrubbed" in and soaks better.
HTH Regards Rodders

Can't you find a solvent based finish in a similar colour? For £5 a can I would assume its water based, and wil just sit on the timber surface, and you'll be topping it up every 12 months.

Back