F-clamps opinions

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeathRobinson

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I need some more clamps (don't we all), and have my eye on F clamps. This is for capacities between G-clamps and sash cramps.

I know that F clamps come in lots of capacities and throats and have a good idea of the sort of specs I need to look for but wondered if there were any brands that were definite go-to's or even any that are best avoided.

I'm quite partial to a room full of Bessey clamps (Tradesman F-Clamps), and to be honest could do it if I wanted, but I suppose that might just be a colossal waste of dosh. They get good reviews, they have the biggest range, but they are more expensive despite not giving any express quality guarantee that I can find.

I have a weird desire to have each type of clamp be from the same manufacturer. I know aesthetics should play second fiddle to common sense when it comes to workshops tools, but mine live in a fairly visible part of the house and I want my workspace to look neat. By extension then, the brand I buy needs to have been around long enough that they aren't going to go under any time soon so that I can purchase replacements and extras from them in future.

Brands I've seen so far are Bessey, Irwin, Jorgensen, Dakota, Axminster.

Thanks,
Simon

Ps. Noted from an archived thread search that JasonB said that the Dakota F-clamps are pretty much a muchness compared to the Jorgensen. Is this still the opinion?

Great! I'd go with Aldi too if I knew they'd be available again in the future and would last. I'm going to need a lot of them but not all right now.

Aldi do seem to repeat these sort of things. They cleared the shelves here PDQ!

Roy.

http://www.rutlands.co.uk/cgi-bin/psProdDet.cgi/DK2039
I bought these just before xmas as I have been wanting some for a while. They work OK. Ouality isn't high and build quality of each clamp is a bit variable. I thought I might have to send some back as the end of the threaded part (the foot?) when it met the fix bar when tightening was well offset. I found I could stick them in the vice and twist the casting to straighten though. One of them had a similar problem with the fixed bar needing a twist to get the foot flat. Having sorted those issues I am in general pleased they seem to work well. I think they may be stronger than the Machine mart types that I have seen that have a flimsy backbone. If you want Bessey quality you pay the price, these were cheap and they squeeze tight.

Alan

I have some screwfix ones and find them ok. They was all I could afford when I started out. But they can be quite heavy and unwieldy. Also the cheap ones tend to flex a bit if tight clamping is needed.

If your budget is small, steer clear from Bessey. You'll never turn back once you've bought a couple of them!! DAMHIKT :)

My dakotas and even cheaper "City Tool" ones are still all going strong :D

Think Rutlands had them on special a while back.

Jason

I'm happy with the cheap Silverline ones from Toolstation. I think they come with plastic caps as well, although you'd need to stick them on with hot melt glue or similar if you don't want to lose them. :)

I have both the Axminster and Clarke (from Machine Mart) F clamps, Axminster slightly better finish and quality, otherwise the same. Also have a pair of the Kemmsia clamps from Axminster, nice and light. Would consider the K body Besseys too

Alan, just looked at them on the site and they look good to me as you said some adjustment was required. At that price I don't mind putting up with one or two minor probs. 600mm for 6 at £40. I have still to buy my christmas present!!!!!!

bessie are the best pay out now and save a fortune buying cheap clamps over and over

Digit":fd5ztvri said:
Mine came from Aldi! :oops:

Roy.

Aint nothing wrong with the Aldi ones! :) They seem pretty good, if a little small. I'm waiting on a six pack of the F clamps that Woody Alan mentioned, 600mm ones, they were reduced in prices in Rutlands.

Another vote for Toolstation. I got 10 each 200 & 300mm when on sale less 10% a couple of years back. Not quite as strong as you might think from the dimensions, (but strong enough for normal woodwork) and of the 20 bought, about 4 needed some attention. I also have some Urko from Tilgear, top notch quality, seem best value quality cramp around?

CroppyBoy1798":182uht4m said:
Digit":182uht4m said:
Mine came from Aldi! :oops:

Roy.

Aint nothing wrong with the Aldi ones! :) They seem pretty good, if a little small. I'm waiting on a six pack of the F clamps that Woody Alan mentioned, 600mm ones, they were reduced in prices in Rutlands.

If you can wait they will come around again -watch Lidl as well.

I've had these & will get some more, they are so damn cheap (Was it 6 assorted sizes for 7 quid??) you can chop them up when making jigs & stuff

I have always wondered whether you guys would prefer G clamps to F clamps......and judging by the number of tool collectors sorry I mean admirers here I presumed the traditional G clamp would win hands down.

My view is that F clamps are brilliant, and that malleable steel G clamps are slow and clumsy to use (and put away again afterwards)......and I have now just broken my fourth one in the last year or so. They all keep breaking off at the top bend.

I have had some poorly-cast F clamps. I really don't care what brand I buy, but will always inspect the casting to see that everything is central and straight.....and I'm not sure they are much good over about 400mm. I've also learnt to have a load of cheapo one-handed clamps arouund when using F clamps......they can hold packing pieces in place, as well as holding the work temporarily if nec.

Bessey? Right up there with Lie Nielson, Veritas and half a dozen other brand-names that make me glaze over......more money than I could ever justify.

Mike

I don't have any F-cramps at all, something I should get hold of though I 'spose. My most used cramps are a couple of really heavy duty, cast iron welding carver cramps which are totally bullet proof. I've got a decent selection of G-cramps from 50mm right up to 300mm and everything in between - Rob

Latest posts

Back