Exploding Rags?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neomorph

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone here ever had their finishing rags burst into flame? It's pretty worrying when you read the caution on the back of a can of Danish Oil you see...

Danish Oil":1pk8m7r9 said:
Warning: Application cloths may self ignite without warning

:shock:

I mean like does it mean that while you are rubbing it on that it goes WHOOSH or what? I'm beginning to have more respect for people like Mastercarpenter Norm who use no guards on their power tools and have zero burn marks on their hands. Do they prey to the god of woodworking to protect them or something. 8-[

Seriously though, is this warning about the spontaneous combustion valid or just a one in a million chance... because if it is then I'm worried because according to Pratchett "Million-to-one chances crop up nine times out of ten." Then add into the equation that I'm severely accident prone and can even fall over a crisp packet then it means I'm sitting in the equivalent of the barn with all the sickles hanging from the ceiling in the movieTwister. :-s

Neo
THIS IS REAL! If you leave bunched up oily rags to their own devices there is a good chance they will burn. They will definitely get hot and smoky.
Don't worry about them self-combusting in your hand, though.
When you've finished with them open them right out and leave to dry. You can dispose of them safely once the finished has dry.
Cheers
Philly :D

IIRC it's the heat generated when the oil cures that's a problem. Not an issue while you're using it, but a potential risk if you leave your oily rags heaped up, maybe on a bed of shavings for instance. :shock:

Went looking for a definitive view on it all and found this. Dunno if it's definitive exactly, but a quick skim through suggests they certainly seem to have had a thorough investigation.

Cheers, Alf

Wire wool is another one to watch.

Even dry, a slight spark seems to get it glowing, could be dodgy if its ontop of a cardboard box of something that will burn easily.

Alf thanks for that link... Very informative and VERY recentreport too January 30th this year no less.

I think that it's definately going to be a case of use then wash the rags. This is definately on my list of things to be cautious of. It's made worse by everyone using plastic wheelie bins. Imagine throwing the rags into a plastic bag or wheelie bin... whoosh... melted danger time.

Actually thinking about that I seem to remember when I was a kid we had a fire in our dustbin and I think that was after dad had been varnishing or oil treating some furniture. I was only around 10 at the time so the memory is a bit vague. Luckily we had a metal dustbin at the time.

But the real worry is what it said was the most dangerous substance...

Class I - Extremely Hazardous oils:
Linseed oil.

... I take Omega 3 Oils from Tesco... and guess what is the main ingredient!!!! :shock:

OMG... I'm going to burst into fla.... arrrggghhh
flamed.gif

best practice is to let them dry flat, even on the lawn or patio, if it's windy you may need to use a rock to keep them in place, even overnight.

often the fires start because people do not allow the item to dry before throwing them. imagine a camp fire, you need it to be small with scrunched up paper to get the things going, imagine the same with your rags, and that is what CAN happen.

take it seriously, even if you use sponges to put the finish on.

if it smells terrible, then it may well be something which may self ignite if not carefully dried out before disposal.

paul :wink:

Just noticed this thread. Oxidation is the process going on as your oily rags dry out. This produces heat and given the right circumstances and enough insulation the result can be a small fire. The trouble with small fires is that they nearly always get bigger!
Cleaning rags left in cleaners' cupboards have started fires in hotels with fatal consequences. This is one of the reasons why cupboards on escape routes have to be fire resistant and kept locked.
I always wet any rags that I throw out. All the others get dried before they are folded up again.

(Fire officer mode now being switched off again).
Cheers.

SF

I've got to say that all of this info is excellent for such a new guy to the wonderous world of woodworking and its hazards. I never really thought as to how dangerous it can be if you don't know what you are doing.

So to all those people who have been so helpful and patient to a guy like me I just want to say thanks.

You guys are great!
misc_thumbsup.gif

Its now after mid day on the 1st of April so:

I often worry about my two sawdust extractor containers, are their contents liable to instantaneous combustion?

One uses the plastic refuse sack, the other the Record is contained in a metal container.

So what you are all saying is that I should stop putting my old screwed up oil soaked finish rags into the bin that I keep my picric acid, aluminium powder and fulminate of mercury and sugar in.
Will they be safe if I just keep them in the garage with the diesel and fertilizer?
I so like to be safe... :p
Regards
Martin

mahking51":fyb8tay5 said:
So what you are all saying is that I should stop putting my old screwed up oil soaked finish rags into the bin that I keep my picric acid, aluminium powder and fulminate of mercury and sugar in.
Will they be safe if I just keep them in the garage with the diesel and fertilizer?
I so like to be safe... :p
Regards
Martin

you could always put them with the nito and glisering in the corner :roll:

Martyn :D

Devonwoody said:
devonwoody":1w3vdhnw said:
are their contents liable to instantaneous combustion?

One uses the plastic refuse sack, the other the Record is contained in a metal container.

No. Spontaneous combustion in small containers of sawdust is not a common occurrence.

SF

Latest posts

Back