Exploding barbeques

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terry - Somerset

Established Member
Reaction score
We had all read of BBQ accidents caused by the profoundly stupid - petrol as firelighter, fence on fire etc etc.

But this is a strange one. The BBQ in question was installed approx 10 years ago and has been no problem. Enthused by a warm bank holiday Sunday and after a few hours on the beach a barbie seemed in order. This is the result:
BBQ4.jpg

As you can see the BBQ is on a wooden frame with brick surround to the BBQ area which was supported by paving slabs. I can only assume that rain during May, including the previous night had saturated the slab. About 5 minutes after lighting - loud bang, debris and result as picture.

I can only assume that the moisture in the slab heated, turned to steam, increased internal pressure as it could not escape, and split (rather than cracked) most of the slab.
BBQ3.jpg

Fortunately no injuries and the kebab shop was still open!

Terry

Attachments

• BBQ4.jpg
    BBQ4.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 1,628
  • BBQ3.jpg
    BBQ3.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 1,628
Must be a taunton thing! Got out of a 12 day stint on southmead burns ward this week after blowing myself up!

Adidat

adidat":1l9lqs80 said:
Must be a taunton thing! Got out of a 12 day stint on southmead burns ward this week after blowing myself up!

Adidat

Do tell. You feeling better now?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bit of a long story but basically comes down to a poor choice of storage, with a 1lb pot of smokeless propellant.

This is how I looked after an operation to remove all the burnt skin and scrub all my wounds.

I was told the fact I was in such pain was a good thing as it meant my nerves weren't damaged I didn't agree this was a good thing but what do I know! Tbf to the staff they did a good job of managing my pain.

This experience really showed me how good the nhs is when you really need them, I haven't been to impressed with the after service but I can't complain.

If you do plan on burning yourself get them to take you to Southmead it's like a hotel. Had my own room with en suite flat screen telly heating and decent view.and the nurses where stunning!

Adidat

adidat":37chjkit said:
Bit of a long story but basically comes down to a poor choice of storage, with a 1lb pot of smokeless propellant.

This is how I looked after an operation to remove all the burnt skin and scrub all my wounds.

I was told the fact I was in such pain was a good thing as it meant my nerves weren't damaged I didn't agree this was a good thing but what do I know! Tbf to the staff they did a good job of managing my pain.

This experience really showed me how good the nhs is when you really need them, I haven't been to impressed with the after service but I can't complain.

If you do plan on burning yourself get them to take you to Southmead it's like a hotel. Had my own room with en suite flat screen telly heating and decent view.and the nurses where stunning!

Adidat

Make sure you are taken there by ambulance too, or Southmead will have assimilated whichever vehicle you have left unattended during your stay :)

Glad they looked after you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blimey Adidat! Hope you have a fast and full recovery fella. Thank god it wasn't even more serious.
Glad no one was hurt at yours either Terry.

That looks nasty, being a retired fireman I've seen a few burns in my time and the pain thing is right, I'll not lecture you on storing high flams, you've learned the hard way, let that be a warning not only to yourself but to others. Hope your home soon and back on your feet quickly.
Take care
Stew

PS on a lighter note, I like your gown :lol:

Glad you're still with us, Adidat, that looks horrid. Sorry about the pain, but glad about the nerves, too.

Southmead? Mixed experiences. The new bit is not that well organised. I have to go regularly, and sometimes outpatients is a complete shambles. But that's different to A&E.

E.

Reading Adidats experience makes me realise how fortunate we were. Flying debris could easily have hit eyes, face etc.

Wishing you a swift recovery.

Terry

Adidat, what a plonker at least you have 130 furniture and cabinet makers to pass the time, in between eyeing up the
lovely nurses.
You won't be needing the Douglas for a while then !

Terry sorry for highjacking you're post.

A few points, im not usually that ugly my face got quite badly burnt including lips and nose and nostrels.

But yes I have had lots of time to think over how silly and lucky I have been. Haveing three paramedics and three coppers in my house with me sitting by the sink in my soggy boxers was a new experience.

Clamping my eyes shut the second I knew the fan was about to be splattered in dung was probably my best move and saved my eyes. (How would I have oggled the nurses otherwise!) It all happened so quick, i couldnt have even dropped the pot before it was all over.

Southmead I have heard mixed reviews, but the burns ward is rumoured to be the best in the west which I can agree with. I arived in resus in musgrove and spent about 6 hours there being stableised before the journey to bristol. It all seemed a bit chaotic and cramped there so southmead was lovely in comparrison.

And yes colin it may be a while hope thats not a problem, it happened about 6 hours after leaving your place! Opps will call you in a day or so.

Anywho hopefully back to work on tuesday. Almost a month of doing nothing which is very new to me!

Chris

Latest posts

Back