Exotic Hardwoods At Timberline

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete Robinson

Established Member
Reaction score
I have recently been designing a jewellery chest for my wife and decided to use Spalted Beech as the main wood and to compliment the black spalt lines I wanted to use Ebony but have had great difficulty in finding someone who not only advertises some of these more hard to come by timbers but sell it as well!! (no one seems to be stocking it at the mo) they also sell veneers!!

Anyway I happened to come accross this place called Timberline
exotichardwoods.co.uk

Helpful? I could not have dreamed of getting a better service!!!

Not knowing what sort of sizes they kept in stock I Emailed them a list of all the parts I needed to make (about 30) and asked if they had anything suitable, about an hour later the answer came back, they had sorted out just three pieces that I would be able to cut all my parts from and had also taken into account the cutting (saw kerf) and allowed a little room for error.....spot on Bob!!!

Although at first glance the prices look pretty scarey but they are infact very reasonable and highly competitive, and they have got it in stock!!!!!!

Over all, very knowledgable, very helpful and excellent service, I would recommend them to anyone.

You must have something i have not got.

I have sent them 2 emails this week trying to track some Ziricote down, they have not replied to either.

I suspect they have not got any, so they could not be bothered as they would not end up with a sale.

Never mind i found some in the end from another craftsmen, but i would not bother trying with them again

I've been there and it's a dangerous place. I wish I'd taken my camera. Casually, I asked if I could look around for a bit. The guy said yes with a knowing smile. I came away with a lovely plank of zebrano but must admit I nearly fell over when he told me the price! Luckily I was in the smart car so I couldn't have gone mad. Got to be seen to believed tho. It's only small too. Just a single industrial unit. Upstairs is more veneer than solid wood! Whilst I was waiting to be served I watched as the guy and a customer went through stacks and stacks of veneer looking for just the right piece. In the end he left the customer looking and came to extract my money. ;)

I always find a quick phone call is best as you often find out if they have what you want instantly, Emails can get lost, buried and forgotten about and it saves you from waiting from waiting for a reply to something that may not have been read or reached them.....and i'm not just talking about Timberline, this could happen in a lot of cases.

Its a good job I don't live close enough for a visit as I'm usually like a kid in a candy store where wood is concerned!!

Pete Robinson":3a3gjxji said:
I always find a quick phone call is best as you often find out if they have what you want instantly, Emails can get lost, buried and forgotten about and it saves you from waiting from waiting for a reply to something that may not have been read or reached them.....and i'm not just talking about Timberline, this could happen in a lot of cases.

It may happen, but not replying to emails, and I can't believe they're inundated, is poor customer service. It's virtually impossible for an email not to reach it's destination if the address is correct.

tis a poor show to be honest. They have computers in their office so there's no excuse really.

I can understand it taking a few days to get back to me, or even if it got over looked the first time round, but i did not get any reply at all.
Having said this i have visited before and can vouch for the owners knowledge. And he was helpful when i was there. The only thing that got on my wick a bit was when i asked for some wide cocobolo to be told, it does not exist, it is a very small and rare tree etc. Having looked at other yards and on the internet i have seen boards going over 18" in width, the best he could offer along with a summon was around 5". But it is a good way of talking up the price. I believe the importers either buy a mixed load and hope for the best at a good price. Or they can specify widths at more cost. But then we are all guilty of trying to get a good deal. I just did not like the lecture.

I was just happy to find some where that had what I needed, I went to all the usual places that advertise stuff on their web sites when in reality they don't actually stock it.

I was told by one supplier "well it's not some thing we usually keep....but we can get it for you"

Well why have it on your web site then? well I think we all know the answer to that one, and NO Black Walnut will not do instead!!!

I know what you mean regards tracking stuff down.
I have had many a trip wasted. Not just so much with stock sheets they are all to often created to make it look inviting. But also when people tell you, yes with have plenty, and then when you visit the stock is dreadful. I had this a little while ago when trying to find some good english walnut. Two yards who i will not mention both told me they had it when i got there the material was awful. Huge sap, shake, need i go on.
This is where i have found emails and the internet a great help. I have found a few small dealers who are happy to take a couple of snaps and send them over before i travel now.
Anyway moan over, i am sure that Timberline is a great yard and holds good stocks of hard to find material. I did not want to run it down as i said in the pass i have found when visiting them very helpful.

I have found a few small dealers who are happy to take a couple of snaps and send them over before i travel now.

Thats a great idea!! I have had a couple of purchases where what was described and what arrived was.....well lets just say that I was disappointed and left me thinking......maybe I will find a use for it some day....maybe November 5th!!!!

I have plenty here i could throw on. I just cannot bear to throw anything away. God only knows what i will do with some of it. When it starts getting too small for pen blanks and you are still keeping it, then it is time to worry. :) :)

Thanks for link above, I have bookmarked it.

Remember if you avoid buying exotic timbers, very wealthy people will be able to buy that timber next century. :wink:

Latest posts

Back