Evolution Table Saw or Mitre Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Protoclown

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
Long time reader first time poster.
I have only been trying my hand at cabinet making (toy boxes, bird houses, sewing table) for about 18 months. I work full time, so i only get to go out into my single garage workshop at weekends or if it's the summer in the evenings. Intro over....

What tool would i get most use from, a Table Saw or a Mitre Saw? B&Q currently have 25% off the evolution range of tools. I already own the Evo circular saw and am very pleased with it. Currently when i cut lengths of wood i use my circular saw with a plywood cutting jig i have made. As you can imagine it can get quite tricky using this current set up for cutting the wood as you have to bring the tools to the wood rather than vice versa. At the moment i currently make nothing much bigger than roughly 1000x400x600.

Maybe i should keep to what i am currently doing?
Expert advice would be very much apreciated.

Thanks,
A

I did try and put hyperlinks in for the tools but my account won't let me!

Welcome to the forum.

I wouldn't class the Evo range as pure woodworking...aren't their saws advertised as being great and cutting anything...wood, metal, steel? You'll get rough cuts in wood and do you really want metal swarf floating about all over the place?

I bought one of their very large, very heavy mitre saws specifically for cutting through old timber with nails in ....crudely made was my conclusion...mind you it's not the same as the Fury from B&Q but my reservations still hold. I'd go for something dedicated to wood.

I went for 2 decades with a table saw and only recently bought a mitre saw just because I wanted one.

So if you are going for one or the other I would say table saw first.

Better still a bandsaw, which I now use almost exclusively.

Welcome to the forum

I dont have any experience of the 'evolution' my self, I'm a noob to woodwork, but at the price its selling it might be usefull for rough stuff, and a handy all-rounder because it can cut metal too, if its primarily for woodworking then simple handsaws will do as good a job, if you have the space then the Axminster TS200 tablesaw seems to be very popular on this forum, if you dont have the space (like me) then your CS and sawboard are portable and very versatile too, if your keen to have a sliding compound mitre saw then save up for something re-assuringly expensive.

I have a Rage Evolution which I use for cutting up "rough" timber - for that it works very well but it only cuts 300mm widths max.

Rod

Thanks for the replies and the warm welcome :D

I think i am perhaps attracted to the price of the options i have listed. I understand that they wont be the smoothest of cuts but i can sand it down to smooth off the edges.

I do own a bandsaw already, don't cringe but its a Titan £99 Screfix one, and for what i wanted it for at the time it was perfect. I have today just snapped the blade on the bandsaw, Doh!

I have looked at the Axminster TS200 tablesaw but its £200 more than the Evolution. To me that's £200 i can save towards a Leigh D4R dovetail jig.

I have decided that i won't buy a Mitre saw (well not yet at least) I'm just in a quandry as to whether i persist with my CS and sawboards or to get the Evolution table saw. :?

Back